Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Identify year of T56? Vent? Torque Arm mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Identify year of T56? Vent? Torque Arm mounts?

So I finally picked up an LS1 T56 for a swap into my '82.Question is how can I decipher what year it is out of?I am told by the seller it is an '01 SS trans,but how can I tell for sure?I am not worried what car it is out of at all,I just want to know the year!There is a sticker/tag on the top of it that has DAX in all caps and a barcode on it adn some other numbers.Would these numbers tell me anything at the dealership?There seems to be no other codes or anything elsewhere!

There also is the vent tube that runs up to the bellhousing flange and at the very end (open end) of the tube the little round cover/cap is missing.Is this fatal for the trans to be missing it in operation?I know if I hit up GM for it they will only sell the entire vent tube.

And last but not least..does anyone have the torque arm mounting brackets that bolt to the trans for sale...talking stock GM stuff here.The trans came with nothing and I need it to bolt up my Random Technology TA.If you have these parts and want to sell email or PM me please!!

Thanks Guys!
Old 01-15-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

On the first thing, The transmission identification (ID) number indicates the transmission model year, type and when the unit was built. I put a picture below to show locations. I put both A4 and 6 speed pics for those that need one or the other.

The transmission ID and the VIN derivative for the M30 transmission are located on the left side of the transmission just above the transmission pan (1, 2).

On the M6 The primary and secondary transmission model identification (1, 2) is located on a label or tag on the transmission case. If this label is missing or unreadable, use the service parts identification label in order to identify the vehicle's transmission.

You should be able to get the vent cap from any trans place. I not visit a bone yard.

Last edited by Farmer2; 01-15-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Pics of the tags attached.

I also found a serial number...2Y2121139 (or an 8 for the last number).Possiblt last nine of car VIN?

As far as I can decipher it is a '99 model year trans when the switch over to Tremec was taking place.
Attached Thumbnails Identify year of T56? Vent? Torque Arm mounts?-img_6233a.jpg   Identify year of T56? Vent? Torque Arm mounts?-img_6225a.jpg  

Quick Reply: Identify year of T56? Vent? Torque Arm mounts?