Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding noise

i have a 99 z28 M6. When i put it in reverse it will move, but sometimes more often than others it I guess falls out of gear while I am backing up. I'll be moving, then it just goes like "boom" like I hit a car or something. It also does it share of grinding as well. The car runs absolutely strong, and has an unbelievable amount of torque. I dont know what it is. Also, when I shift from time to time, there is grinding in 3 gear when shifting from second. I want to say its the clutch, but I have no clue. I took it to a transmission shop, and they say its just the clutch, and I need a new one, but I wanted a second opinion before I did anything
Old 01-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try posting in the manual tranny thread, a little ways down on the main page! Before that do a search in there..I am sure someone else has had this problem
Old 01-23-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either way you're gonna have to take the trans off. Pull it, inspect the clutch and hydraulics and see what they look like. If it's a shifting problem in multiple gears it's usually a clutch, hydraulic, or alignment issue. Your case could be a bad 3rd synchro and bad reverse synchro/gear but I'd bet it's the clutch.