Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Grinding while shifting gears.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding while shifting gears.

Background. I just did a 408 swap, been driving the car for 1 week just over 500 miles. Have an exedy twin disc that has ~10K miles. I dont know about the slave or master because i have never messed with them. Car felt great befor the swap and has felt awesome until yesterday when i noticed it was kinda difficult going into first and that the friction point of the clutch seemed abnormal. It also didnt have the GRABBY nature that clutch usually exhibits. I am leaving the parking lot going to shift 2nd and it grinds. Kinda weird. It also grinds 4th a couple times on the way home. Today same thing execpt that i have to rev match to get it to shift gears its like the clutch isnt disengaging?? But if i stop push the clutch in, i can shift any gear i want. If there was something wrong with the clutch wouldnt it not let me shift into a gear. I am also really thrown by the fact that the clutch isnt as grabby as usual.. Any thoughts ?!? I just drove my baby through break in and was planning on getting it tuned monday and then get to rage on it but now this
Old 02-17-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging completely. I would jack up the car and have someone get in and put the clutch in slowly while it is in gear. Get under the car and try to rotating the driveshaft by hand. Have the other person note at what point the pedal as while you just begin to be able to turn the driveshaft by hand. This will give you a good idea what is happening. All this is to be done with the engine turned off of course.

Andrew
Old 02-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Teching In

oh this is on a corvette by the way... to make matters worse
Old 02-18-2006, 07:10 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by usnskeet21
oh this is on a corvette by the way... to make matters worse
That always seems to complicate anything!
Old 02-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Teching In

pressure plate bolts are phucking tight.. so thats not the problem. the slave seems to be operating properly.. any more thoughts ??

I got my buddy to push in the clutch and hold it while i watched the slave i didnt notice the slave moving back. seemed fine.

Quick Reply: Grinding while shifting gears.