Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Strange clutch pedal feel after slave swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange clutch pedal feel after slave swap

Vehicle is a 2002 Pontiac Trans/Am with McLeod adjustable Master Cylinder and stock Slave Cylinder and a SPEC 3 "f" clutch installed over 1 year ago.

The slave cylinder went bad because I found myself having to double clutch frequently to get car in gear from a stop. So I replaced it with a new one, bled the hydraulics and have same pedal pressure as before. Gears go in smooth now. The clutch engagement is firm just as before, holding well under even nitrous 550hp blasts just fine. No slip, chatter or goofy stuff.

Here's the issue. When the clutch is pressed in and HELD for any amount of time (1-2 min like at a traffic light), the car clutch will start to engage slowly, wanting to roll the car forward, and when released, the pedal sticks very low, close to the floor. Also, when the pedal is pressed and held for not very long, but more that just to put the car in gear (30 sec), upon releasing the pedal it only comes back up half-way, sometimes slowly coming back up by itself the rest of the way and sometimes just staying there until I pull it back up with my foot.

It's almost as if there was a slow hydraulic leak, causing the pressure plate to descend onto the flywheel. Close inspection of the system, feed lines and master cylinder reveals NO leak whatsoever anywhere, confirmed by the fluid reservoir remaining at level.

So the options are 1) Clutch, 2) Slave cyl (unlikely, because it's brand new and shifting is prefect) and 3) master cylinder. Could this be the master cyl piston seals alowing fluid to blow back into the reservoir while the pedal is depressed?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

SPEC says since no fluid is present under the bellhousing, from the slave, it must be fluid blow-by in MC. I tend to agree 'cuz it makes sense.

It's just a pain in the a$$ to pull that piece off under the brake booster with all the crap that's in the way to reach it. I have a really bad back. Anything else to check before ripping into it?
Old 03-21-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Agree with BigBird.