Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch vibrations go away with break-in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch vibrations go away with break-in?

I just put a SpecII kit in my T/A, and the steering wheel shakes from 1,100-1,600 rpm (in neutral or clutch disengaged). Spec told me that along with the chatter would go away with break-in. It would seem if the kit was balanced properly, it wouldn't be shaking, and if break-in cures it, that would suggest it is the clutch disc. It seems the mass of the clutch disc is so small in relation to the flywheel and PP that it would not cause this vibration.

The vibration may be a slightly improved now that it has 260 miles on it. I am not sure though. If break-in was the cure, I'd expect it to be a lot better now.

In 3rd gead and higher, I do not feel the vibration at that RPM range with the engine loaded. I think I can feel it in 1st and 2nd at that RPM since the car is barely moving.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Its not chatter, its shudder. I got a detailed explanation of this difference from the tech at McLeod. It goes away however. Being a clutch that is better than stock, you'll have to engage the clutch differently, i.e. less feahtering it out. Find the sweet spot and bring the pedal up to that point faster, then feather it out.

Andy
Old 03-31-2006, 11:55 AM
Teching In

You're referring to the symptom I get as the clutch engages, right? I understand how that should improve with break-in. My real concern is the vibration I have in the steering wheel (due to engine shaking) when revved in neutral or with the clutch disengaged.

I've read these kits are supposed to be balanced, and I have read "why not pay extra to a shop to make sure they are balanced?" Hindsight is 20/20 on balancing at a shop for peace of mind.

In the meantime, I have been told by Spec that the vibration will go away with break-in. Considering it is the clutch disc that is wearing during break-in, and the fact the clutch disc mass is small compared to the flywheel and PP, saying the vibration will go away with break-in seems iffy.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Here is another bit of info I got from McLeod. These assemblies are balanced to a certain tolerance. For our example we will say that the tolerance on each piece of the assemble is 10, 10 is just a number we are assigning as a tolerance level. So during the balancing process, if the flywheel comes in at a 6, the pressure plate at an 8, then the assembly is balanced correct? Well not exactly, the two pieces when placed together equal 14, which is out of tolerance. A solution to this problem is to rotate the pressure plate assembly one bolt hole clockwise to equal out the lack of balance. Maybe this is your problem.

The shudder I referred to in my previous post does go away with break in. The scenario listed above does not go away to the best of my knowledge. The only way to fix that scenario is to rotate the pressure plate.

I cannot think of anything else that could be causing this to happen.

Good luck
Andy
Old 03-31-2006, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the explanation on how their balancing may not work out when the parts are put together.

Quick Reply: Clutch vibrations go away with break-in?