Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

neutral safety/clutch switch problems (want to remove it)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neutral safety/clutch switch problems (want to remove it)

we all know that in order to start our LSx cars, no matter if the car is in the neutral gate, you still have to depress the clutch.

Well this is the second time this has happend.
sometimes my 01 z28 m6 wont start, because of the neutral safety switch being tempermental and going out.

so has any one just removed (BYPASSED) the switch? I always leave my car in neutral anyways, so since is this the second time the switch as started to go out on me I figure I will just cut it out and bypass it.

Will this work? and does it throw any ses codes?
Old 04-03-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It shouldn't trip any codes, but this is not a good idea at all.... The safety switch might just need to be adjusted to sit at the proper height. I rarely let anyone drive my car, but just on the off chance of me or someone else slipping and starting it in gear I'd be afraid not to have the switch. Way too much potential for screwing up the car or hurting someone. If you can't figure out what's messing up the switches maybe you could rig up a bypass switch for when it doesn't work right?
Old 12-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a "working" part number for this switch? Auto Zone and O'Riley couldn't find the part for me. Mine is marked 10293267 and I did a search on that number, but (for the most part) only this forum came back. The number doesn't work on AutoPartsGIANT.com GMPartsDirect.com or RockAuto.com I would hate to pay GM $30 for a $10 part...

The new part number for 10293267 is 10180569. BUT... this is the Clutch Anticipation Switch, not the Clutch Safety Switch. All this switch does is turn off the cruise control when you press in the clutch. I replaced it by mistake, but my car started again, so go figure. Maybe I bumped the CSS just right....

Last edited by 1stbird; 01-09-2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: New Info, Correction

Quick Reply: neutral safety/clutch switch problems (want to remove it)