Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New clutch is chattering... questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 09:34 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New clutch is chattering... questions

Hey all,

I bought the mighty Textralia clutch and have recently had it installed by Jason Bailey of Texas Drivetrain Performance (who absolutely rules, by the way). The clutch has been in for about four days and it has about 200 miles on it so far (50 of which were highway). As many good things and as few bad things as I've heard about this clutch, it's chattering like a camel in the arctic.

If I give it just a bit of gas (like 1000-1200 RPMs) and slowly slip the clutch until it engages, it will be beating me to death before it mates up. It's like the worst wheelhop ever except in the front of the car. If I rev it up a bit more (like 3000 RPMs) and let the clutch out a bit harder, it will give me a slight vibration before mating. I rarely get any chatter in any gear except first.

Is it too early to tell whether or not this is going to be a permanent problem? I've always read that the chatter improves when you have broken it in, but I also hear that break-in time is about 300 miles. I'm 2/3 of the way there!

Is there anything I can do to improve this? Anyone else with a Textralia experiencing this?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My SPEC II is doing that still with 260 or so miles. It makes me sick thinking about it. Only slipping the hell out of it prevents it.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

I'm approaching the 300 mile mark on my Textralia. I still get some chatter in first gear but I have to say it is not as bad as the first day. Just as your experiencing, I get the worst chatter when I rev up to about 1000-1200 rpm and let the clutch out. At about 1500 rpm it is much better.

As some say, it will take a little practice and maybe a little different technique than what you were accustomed to before. Just a matter of finding what works.

I feel for you, trust me. Good luck.

Brian
Old 04-11-2006, 08:54 AM
11Second Club

Well, I learned something this morning. The worst of the clutch chatter was a loud banging sound in the car. It turns out that banging sound was my Y-pipe hitting the bottom of the car from the vibration! I think I'm going to cut up some heater hose and wedge it between the floorboard and the cat to prevent this from happening. If I can keep the banging from happening, I'll be much happier!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:47 PM
11Second Club

The clutch is chattering which is a minor problem. Since my exhaust is close to the floorboard, a result of the catter is my driver-side cat banging on the floorboard. I can resolve that with a piece of heater hose, but the chatter will remain.

I bought the clutch from you, yes, but I'm still a happy customer, so no worries. I didn't purchase this clutch with the delusion that it was a stock, street clutch. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't compounding the problem somehow or overlooking a way to improve the smoothness of the clutch.

If this thing grabs at the track, I'll be happy!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gauge
The clutch is chattering which is a minor problem...I didn't purchase this clutch with the delusion that it was a stock, street clutch.
Well #1: You are experiencing shudder, not chatter. Shudder is more of the hard disc "skipping" over the flywheel/pressure plate like a rock skipping over a pond. My McLeod did this for about 400 miles. It also is a race style clutch which means it is more of an on/off type of engagement. My McLeod has a certain grab point. I bring the pedal quickly to the engagement point and then gas it a bit. You cannot "feather" this type of clutch like a stock one. Its the nature of the beast.

#2 My McLeod twin drives like a stock clutch. It grabs like a ****, is rated for a lot of power, and drives stock. What more could you ask for???

Anyways, back to the issue at hand.....the shudder will dissipate with wear. Just engage the clutch a bit quicker with little to no "feathering". After 5-600 miles, go beat the **** out of it!

Happy driving!

Andy
Old 04-16-2006, 09:42 AM
11Second Club

I thought I'd post to set the record straight. I took the car to the track after 350 miles of stop-and-go traffic. I went thinking, "It may chatter like mad, but it'll probably hold quite well at the track." It did. And, when I returned from beating the **** out of it 20 runs last night, the chatter is a thing of the past.

At this point I'm very, very happy with this purchase. It holds well, it's extremely streetable, and the chatter is gone. Besides, how can you go wrong with a product that has the word Texas in the name? (even if it's only part of the word Texas)

Quick Reply: New clutch is chattering... questions