Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Grind in 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grind in 2nd

I just got a 99 Trans Am and its grinding in 2nd only if i take off hard in 1st and then shift into 2nd gear like if i am racing, but if i take off easy and shift its ok. Could a shifter help or new clutch or tranny i sure hope its not the tranny.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem. From the way it happens, it looks like possibly blocker rings, synchros, or worst case scenario, the gear is fubared. The latter would occur at low speeds too and occasional popping out of gear.

I changed transmission fluid and noticed quite a bit of shavings in the oil. Needless to say I think second is on its way out for me, only a matter of time before it creeps its way into low speed shifts as well.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:44 AM
Launching!

Is there anything i can try that maybe able fix this before rebuilding the tranny
Old 04-16-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its already more or less too late, but there are things you can do to help

go with a good synthetic, either Amsoil or at the least Mobil 1. Redline is a bad choice, ester based, absorbs water. Royal purple has a tendency to thin out over time.

Always let the transmission get to temp before romping on it. That means at least take it easy for the first 15 mins of driving (the transmisssion doesn't warm up enough from idling, it needs to be used to warm up).

Do a good flush on it. Buy some cheap Dexron III, put it in, drive it around for a bit (drive it EASY, not HARD), flush it out. Depending on the amount of metal shavings you have, you may have to do this 2 or 3 times.

I flushed mine like this and on occasion I can do a 1-2 shift with no grind. I may do another flush and go with Amsoil this time and see how that feels.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:07 AM
Launching!

i was told to get some GM synchromesh tranny fluid and see if that helps ill try anything