Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

noise when reversing

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile noise when reversing

Hey guys,
Today when I was reversing in my M6 it felt kind of wierd. It seemed like if I was running over something or someone. I had felt this before but very little and this time it just kept on going. I went forward and then back again and I did not feel anything anymore. Going forward is no problem it only does this sometimes in reverse but today it scared me. Does anybody know what this could be. I hope it's nothing big but by the way the car felt I think it might. It feels like if you are going in reverse on a very bumpy road. I would really appreciate any comments. Thanks,
Junior
Old 04-20-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If what you are talking about is a gear jump out: your car would begin to back up and make clunking sound when it jumped out and there would be no more drive in reverse( until you re-engaged the gear). This is a condition that comes from heavily clashing the gear . It usually is a result of missing a shift(missing 3rd or 5th and hitting the reverse gate) and crashing reverse( not actually engaging it). After enough of this ( or severe enough) the clutching teeth on the gear are worn to the point they can no longer hold in gear.
You will need a teardown/rebuild to fix this.