Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shim question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 03:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Shim question

What is a shim, and what does it do? Can one EVER cause a clutch to slip. My friend has a standard ram (4-500hp rating) clutch, and a ram steel flywheel. He used a shim when he installed it.

3,000 miles later with minimal racing it is slipping. He has 500whp. Someone told him you aren't supposed to use a shim unless your FW is resurfaced. Could the shim have caused the slipping?

He took the clutch out and it appears to be in decent shape, no burns, some life left on it still.

I want to buy it, and have my OEM FW resurfaced (I am bolt-ons only). Do I now need a shim? I'm confused and would hate to waste my money on a clutch that will slip. He already ordered a spec 5.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-26-2006, 09:11 AM
9 Second Club

help please
Old 04-26-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shim is going to go behind the slave to move it out some to give the slave more room to disengauge, if the flywheel is resurfaced moving the clutch farther away from the slave, it may not push out far enough to fully disengauge the clutch, i have never used a shim on any of my clutches and i have put them on new and resurfaced flywheels without a problem and i think i would definaly know if it wasnt grabbing, hehe

only thing i ever noticed is that with the clutch to the floor on my new install if i reved it past 5k the car would creep forward like it wasnt fully disengauging, but i just readjusted my master cylinder and it fixed that.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:41 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks boss!