Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch slipping at gear changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch slipping at gear changes

Here is the rundown on my issue with my RAM 910 VDS system.

4 months ago I put a fresh bottom end in my car and while I had it out I had the transmission rebuilt, sent the Pressure plate to RAM to be rebuilt, bought a new clutch disk, and had the flywheel resurfaced. The clutch was working perfect on and off the track when I took it apart. I following the instructions from RAM on setting the installed height and everything went together perfectly.

Fast forward to last night:
The car has about 1500 miles on it and I was gentle on the clutch for the first 500 miles and then gradually started driving it harder. It has worked great on the street so far, except for a few hydrolic bleeding issues but I think/thought they were fixed. I went to the track last night and the first run the clutch smoked all the way down the track. On the second, third, and fourth run the clutch would slip on the launch and the slip for about .8 to 1.3 seconds at each gear change (times from scanner) and then slowly grab and hold in each gear.

I never could smell the clutch burning though

Does anyone know what might cause this?
Old 05-08-2006, 04:11 PM
FormerVendor

Im starting to wonder how good the pressure plate is after looking over the video of last night... it has to be broken in by now but cant hold on the track, but will hold on the street because of the street tires...
Old 05-09-2006, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I started thinking about it and since I have started changing out the fluid in the master cylinder it has moved the friction point up to the top of the pedal, I might just not be releasing all of the way. I think adjusting the master to bring the friction point down some might help.

Does anyone else have any input on this?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I had a similar problem with my Z06 clutch a while back.

I was coming off the clutch abou the same speed as I was in the street, and it was not engaging fast enough. When I was at the track I started lifting my foot as quickly as possible off the clutch pedal when i was launching, and it would hold.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ill have to give that a try next time I'm at the track. You've got a pretty sweet looking car. What part of Magnolia are you from?