Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bad Master Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Master Cylinder?

For about the past year or so my car has followed from the following symptoms.....could it be a bad master cylinder?

- Intermittently grinds going from 2nd to 3rd at lower RPMs.....has never done it at high RPMs.

- Grinds going from 2nd to 4th EVERYTIME when making the shift at over 3500 RPMS

- Grinds intermittently when shifting from 3rd to 4th at high RPMs....does NOT do it everytime though.

For the most part I've just been driving "around" the symptoms....the trans shifts fine otherwise. Obvioiusly it'd be a lot easier to replace the master cylinder rather than a shift fork or synchro. BTW....trans has 114K on it.....clutch has about 80K on it.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

grinding is usually the trans. clutch pedal feel or absense of feel is usually master or slave. your syncros could be going out. does it do better after getting warmed up a bit. also check your tranny fluid
Old 05-29-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No....the car being warm or cold does not have an effect on it. The 2nd gear to 3rd gear condition is strange. It'll shift perfectly fine.....and then all of a sudden......GRIND.....at which point it will continue to grind. Give it a rest for a while....come back, and it'll shift fine. Tranny fluid is fine.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

it could be the hydraulics, maybe there not engaging fully
Old 05-29-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

until you tear into it you may not know. I wouldn't reccomend driving too much on it unti lyou get it fixed. If you break something you usually take out other things as well.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice......it was probably wishful thinking to hope that something as easy as the master cylinder was causing the problems. I doubt its gonig to blow up anytime soon....I've been driving it like this for well over a year.....if/when I do get it fixed I plan on doing a complete rebuild with a new clutch assembly anyways.

Quick Reply: Bad Master Cylinder?