Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

output shaft seal leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default output shaft seal leak!!

SO, I took my transmission out, removed the drive shaft in order to install new clutch.
replaced the OEM tranny fluid with Mobil1 synthetic transmission fluid, reassembled everything and started driving around without noticing any problems.
On first recheck I noticed a small tranny fluid leak from the output shaft seal.
Does this happen, when fluid brand and type are changed? Because I can not find anything else that could be wrong. Everything is assembled correctly.
Has anybody else experienced this?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The oil did not cause the leak. You prolly nicked the seal with the propshaft remove/ install.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the king of the output shaft seal leaks. It can only be three things: Bent output shaft, bad seal, or loose shifter. If there are no bad vibrations, it cannot be the output shaft. This leaves it to the seal or shifter. I replaced five seals to find out that it was leaking from the loose shifter, looked like output shaft seal. Anyway, make sure that the seal is seated well and put a sealant around the perimeter (not sure what it's called) but I did this and tighten the shifter and it's like new. This leak drove me nuts for months, it leaked so bad that it would drip on the ypipe under acceleration and smoke!!! Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had something similar happen to me, except it happened on the input shaft, and actually ruined my clutch. The owner before had switched to sythetics and shortly after I bought the car the clutch went out because it had leaked all over the clutch, the car only had 50k miles on it at the time. I've talked to alot of people and the general concensus is that sythetics often times get through seals that regular dyno fluids don't. I had the seal replaced, then put sythetics back in (yeah I know) but I haven't had a front seal leak yet, and the input shaft was not loose or bent. I would think the output shaft seal should be relatively easy to replace if it turns out to be that.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

The synthetic formulas sometimes attack the seal materials.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Id try throwing some gasket maker on the shifter, before i messed with the seal.

Quick Reply: output shaft seal leak!!