Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need Help to solve clutch problem....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help to solve clutch problem....

I am broke and need to try to fix my 2002 myself this weekend. Here is the deal. When the car is running, you can not get the car in gear. The clutch pedal has the same feel (pressure) it did before the problem started. When you depress the clutch and try to put it in any gear, it feels like its blocked, the shifter only moves a little ways towards any gear. Now, turn the car off, push in the clutch, and the shifter moves freely and shifts into all gears normally. The only other thing I can think of, is that I can kind of feel and hear a "spring" feedback through the clutch pedal when I depress it now and its running. The car came with an aftermarket spec 3 clutch.

This did happen once before. I sent it to the dealership on a flatbed tow truck. When it arrived, the problem had "cured" itself and it drove fine for another 3 months without a problem. So the bumpy ride on the tow truck fixed whatever was stuck before. I need to fix the problem right this time. My thoughts are a slave cylinder, but that is only because it won't engage any gear when running, but will move into all gears fine when the engine is off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to attempt to tear down the car, only to find out I was way off on what it could be. By the way, the car has only 40K on it.

Jax
Old 06-14-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

my problem is very similar. its clunky rowin through gears at stoplight with car on. but when off it starts to move smoothly. Does it not go into any particular gear?
Old 06-15-2006, 07:22 AM
Teching In

When the car is running, it won't go into any gear. When the car is off, it goes into all of them. If I start the car in gear, the clutch is partially engaged and the car rolls. Makes me think its a clutch slave.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check to make sur eyouve got enough fluid. Check to make sure youre not leaking any from under the tranny. After that youre gonna have to tear it down and see how things look.