Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do Not Buy Ram Clutches

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 10:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do Not Buy Ram Clutches

Well after 600 miles the clutch started showing signs of slipping. at 1400 miles its toast.

Ram said send it back . when they looked at it they were clueless on what was wrong. They decide to send my old pressure plate back and a new disc. They also said to try to remove the shim , well that didnt work , so i pulled it again and put the shim back in . still does not work .

Pull the trans again and notice the clutch disc is bent . I call them back . They act as if this is my first clutch install and tell me i bent it when i assembled it and that it was not lined up right . My response was , I used the clutch alignment tool you provided so how is that possible?

Needless to say , Ram is not willing to help at all .
I know alot of us on here dont like Ram, but for those people who are considering them, STAY AWAY .

It a shame a simple thing of sending me another disc and i was willing to sendback the bent disc , they wont do .

I have delt with many companies during the build of my car . In a month or 2 it will be in a featured add in HOT ROD. None of the companies i used gave me bad service like them (well maybe another sponsor on here also )I will be sure to let everyone know my trouble with them
Old 06-17-2006, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has never given me a lick of trouble. Still running on the first shim install and still bites as hard as it did when I installed it..... car is on ET Streets full time and the disk/PP doesn't give it a second thought.

Did you check the shim and clearance with a dial indicator? I had to play w/mine and R/R the trans few times before I got it "just right" the first time I used an adjustable unit.

A bent disk is not something that occurs on it's own or through poor quality of the piece.

If it was bent when RAM checked it, they would likely have caught it.
If it wasn't bent when they shipped it back, and you installed it and now it's bent.... my vote is for install error.

"STAY AWAY" is a fairly over the top statement IMHO....

Good luck none the less-
Old 06-17-2006, 02:28 PM
9 Second Club

hey i understand that there are some out there that do perform.
my advise is for someone looking to buy one to start .

also this is not adjustable, there is no way to do that .
ram say it was checked before it left and was not bent. but you tell me how i bent it ?
either way the first one was gone at 1400 miles, that itself is not acceptable

and for them not wanting to take the bent one back and send out another one? its a small cost to them to keep a satisfied customer. the fact that they wont do this is even more of a reason to not buy from them
Old 06-17-2006, 03:11 PM
Banned

I used the clutch alignment tool you provided so how is that possible?
Using an alignment tool doesn't mean the disc won't get bent. I eyeballed my clutch alignment and the trans slid right in. What will bend a disc is the trans shifting (moving) on the trans jack. So I would blame the installer too.
But usually any company that I've dealt with wants to see how persistant you will be. If you know you screwed up you will call once or twice and give up.
If you are sure their part is at fault you will not give up and will make several calls.

My advice is to keep calling, start out polite, and get to down right screaming and cussing, they should move you up the chain from bottom level phone 'answerer' up to a supervisor. When you get to the supervisor you should be close to getting what you want.
I've spent four or more hours on the phone playing this game and found if you stick with it you usually get taken care of.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bent disc would most likely be caused during installation and would certainly cause rapid wear.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

what about that shotty ups shipping! maybe they dropped it or they bent it
Old 06-18-2006, 12:49 PM
wrencher

A bent hub is usually done on assembly. Not to many ways to get that result.
The input shaft exerting the tran's weight on the disc when not bolted up & slid in completly will bend that hub easy.

Quick Reply: Do Not Buy Ram Clutches