Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ram Clutch - what a piece

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Clutch - what a piece

I have had a Ram stock replacement clutch for the past 4k miles. It is possibly the biggest piece of crap that I have ever placed on any vehicle in my lifetime. It is almost as though they welded some brake pads to a disk and put a few springs on the disk and called it a clutch. It chatters more than a clutch capable of handling twice the hp. It's going to eventually kill my motor mounts and entire drivetrain. On top of all that, I believe it may be toast already after 4k miles! I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with this product. The stock flywheel was resurfaced and thourougly cleaned prior to intalling the clutch...all of the hydraulics were replaced as well. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with this product, and if so, did you experience any drivetrain problems after such repeated chatter? Thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

i havent heard too many good things about the ram clutch line. thats why I went with a centerforce. good luck w/ everything
Old 07-06-2006, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Well I just looked up the part number on ram's website and it said that it is a "powergrip" clutch reacommended for street/strip/nitrous setups...so maybe it's not just the stock replacement...still, has anyone suffered damage due to excessive chatter?
Old 07-06-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

did you surface the flywheel?

the powergrip is a stronger clutch, and like most, chatters during breakin, and will continue to if you do not break the clutch in properly.

I had a powergrip HD last for 30k miles, which is a stiffer/stronger/meaner clutch than the "regular" powergrip. What RPMs are you trying to take off at?
did you get it shimmed? do you have an adjustable master?
did you do the install?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

the flywheel was resurfaced...I had a shop do the work, since I had to go to work and I have no backup car (I trust those guys did it right)...when I take off, I'll allow the clutch to begin engaging, then I will pop the throttle to get the rpms up to about 2K to 2.2k all the while engaging the clutch to full engagement. I asked the shop that I bought the clutch from what the breakin procedure was, they said there wasn't one . Do you know how to break these things in (I immagine you could beat the hell out of it to break those springs in)? I do not have an adj. master, and it has been shimmed. Thanks for any help!
Old 07-07-2006, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

you are normally supposed to break the clutch in by driving 350-500 miles without going above 3,000. That is what i have done......
Old 07-07-2006, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

that's what I did, so I guess I can figure that this is how it is going to act as long as I have it...?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

but the real question is is it going to vibrate my drivetrain and motor mounts to the point where something breaks?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

check your tranny mount, heck the might not have tightened it up.

and the shop should have looked up the breakin procedure, i've never heard of one that didnt have one. (correct me if im wrong someone)