Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pilot bushing problems help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 03:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pilot bushing problems help!!!!

ok so i got to the point where i was going to install a new pilot bushing when stuck my finger in the crank and it was full of crap so i pulled some out and it was little rollers. am i comfused. ive never seen an ls1 pilot bushing do they have bearings in them? and also the pilot pushing it self looked pretty bad. so i know i have to replace it but if you could give me any advice it would be great. ill try to get pics.

thanks
ryan
Old 07-08-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

There are two types that I'm aware of, the roller bearings (needle type) and bushings. The bushings can be made out of different material and last longer with heavy loads or if for some reason there's more vibration than normal coming from your crank or transmission. The roller type I guess works better but can wear more easily making you pretty much change it every time you pull the transmission depending how frequently you remove it. I'm not that knowledgeable though so I'm sure someone else will step in here in a sec.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

ok well i guess i have the needle bearing kind. and it seems to of eaten the needles and cut a nice groove into the pilot bearing. can this just be pulled out and have a new one pressed in?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

yes. There are many different types of bushings out there. You can find them anywhere from 5 bucks to 50 bucks (the 50 dollar one being made from Kevlar). If you do the job yourself get a "Blind hole puller" from autozone. P/N OEM27128. Pull the old one out and press the new one in with a socket and hammer. I've never actually done it before but read about it a few times here on the forums, just do a search, there are a lot of discussions on these.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took my clutch out today and there were little roller bearings in the bellhousing...It was completely demolished and the slaved cylinder and throwout bearing came apart all together....I had to use a dremel type tool to cut it out because it came out in pieces...I'm using the HD rolller bearing type and it seems to be a lot better than the stock junk...
Old 07-09-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha.. i just put in a brand new pilot bearing and SPEC 3+ today, as well as a new flywheel from GM. I used a "blind hole puller" from autozone like someone said to use.. came out in 3 min. getting a new one pressed in took a little longer.