Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing not there???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pilot bearing not there???

Ok, working on my buddies 99 formula, slave took a crap, gonna put the ls6 clutch kit and updated slave in, pull trans tonight, and looked to see how the pilot bearing looked. Its half gone . I am asuming that it uses needle bearings, since most do these days. there are no bearings and the input shaft feels slightly rough. Im in a bind, I promised the car this weekend, so I am just going to put in a bearing and let er ride. Now, my question...or questions. 1st. Is this common, it has me worried about my 99 Z. #2 What kind of puller do I need to get to get whats left of the bearing out? and how do I get the new one in? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stuff wet toilet paper in hole and use a hammer, socket and extension. Keep adding more wet toilet paper. Put toilet paper in the socket to seal it. If you get a good seal it will slowly pop out the pilot bearing. Basic Principles of hydraulics, then hammer the new one in evenly
Old 07-19-2006, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That bad pilot may be what took out the slave. It is also very bad for the trans input "pocket"bearing. If you can't tear down the trans to inspect,I suggest looking at the trans oil condition as when pocket bearings go out they generate alot of heat.At any rate change the trans oil too.
BTW the wet TP idea is not good with an LS1. Behind the pocket where the pilot sits in the engine crank is a oil gally welch plug. Too much pressure from the wet TP can push this plug into the crank. I suggest a proper bearing puller use to avoid a major engine oil leak( VERY major)
Old 07-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoon
BTW the wet TP idea is not good with an LS1. Behind the pocket where the pilot sits in the engine crank is a oil gally welch plug. Too much pressure from the wet TP can push this plug into the crank. I suggest a proper bearing puller use to avoid a major engine oil leak( VERY major)
That's good to know, I was considering using grease and a punch but ended up using a slide-hammer instead. Glad I did now.