Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Throwout Bearing Question...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Throwout Bearing Question...HELP!

Hey I have a buddy with an ls1 and the m6 tranny. On cold starts when he engages the clutch and puts in first or either when he starts in first hes getting a tick and click from the tranny. I was told that this is the throwout bearing. Is that right? Let me know if it is and how hard it is to replace and if while the tranny is down he might as well change is clutch out also...thanks in advance...Josh.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If what you mean is depressing the pedle and getting a roll-over tick sound, this is actually dis-engaing the clutch. It is also loading up the throw-out bearing. This sound ( is it just cold? how cold?)could be a sign that the TO bearings days are numbered. As for the clutch , it would depend on the miles and hard use its seen. When thetrans is out inspect and see what is needed(or not)
Old 07-27-2006, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^exactly what I was thinking. And to replace the throwout/slave you have to drop the tranny. I would just go ahead & get a new clutch & slave. Might as well while your in there that way you know your good for a while. It would suck to put in a new slave & then have to go back in again to do a clutch.

The throwout is part of the slave when you buy a new one.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I was told by another friend that it's actually probably a pilot bearing. I think the best route to do would be to get a new clutch just while its out and for performance reasons and replace the slave cylinder as well as the bearings. Where is a good place to buy these things.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well first off there will only be one bearing, the pilot bearing. If its not bad leave it alone. Its a pain in the ***. Just repack it with grease upon re-install of clutch & tranny. I had Jon @ TSP order my LS7 clutch kit. If you call them ask for Jon Reynolds & tell him I sent you. He will tell you everything you need to know.

Quick Reply: Throwout Bearing Question...HELP!