Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tranny fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny fluid question

what's the difference between royal purple ATF max, and royal purple syncromax, i just had the fluid replaced and my mechanic put in ATF MAX is this fine??
Old 10-15-2006, 02:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Synchromax is for manual transmissions, while Max ATF is for automatic transmissions.

I've never received a clear answer on this, but I know there are two schools of thought regarding synthetic tranny fluid, and T-56 transmissions.

One school of thought says that, starting in '01, OEM T-56 transmissions came assembled with carbon fiber synchro rings, in which case synthetic transmission fluid is fine.

The other school of thought says that the only way you'll get carbon fiber synchro rings in a T-56, is if it was rebuilt with them. I just had mine rebuilt, and the break-in instructions clearly specify the use of synthetic transmission fluid.

If you have an OEM T-56, I'd stick with GM's recommendation, which is Dexron III ATF.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 98z28 with a stock t-56. I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic Dexron III ATF almost 15000 miles ago and with over 40 track runs and a recent swap to the ls7 clutch.

Dexron III ATF is a recommended standard by GM, if the ATF adheres to that standard then it should be fine in your transmission, but the condition of your transmission will determine if it *works ok or not*. Let me repeat, if you are grinding and already having issues going into gear, a synthetic may expose further things a thicker dino oil version may mask.

The only oil that doesn't conform to standards that people tend to associate with "synthetic" as well is Redline. It claims to be synthetic and good for all transmissions yet they DO NOT have the API standards approval for Dexron III or any classification of motor oil.