Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 Clutch Problem

Well i think i may just have bad luck because i have heard nothing but good things about this clutch. I recently started to notice this thud like sound that the car was making at idle. The car would randomly shake at take off on first gear. It would sound as if two metal pieces where hitting each other, while taking off on 1st gear. I couldn’t make time to tackle the job myself so I took it to a shop. They informed me that half of the flywheel and Pressure Plate were new and the other half showed wear. The mechanic told me that either surface of the flywheel or PP may have been warped but he wasn’t as to which surface was warped.

I would like to know if resurfacing both surfaces would fix the headache or will I have to get a whole new kit?

Thanks in advance.

Oh and my F-Bod is a 98 TA
Old 10-14-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you may have had bolts back off on you. I did the red locktite on the flywheel and blue locktite on the pressure plate. I'm 1000 miles into my break in with mostly stop and go and it's been a good clutch. Rides to 6krpm with no slip or signs of problems.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it sounds like something got out of alignment. You might be able to resurface them. But like brake rotors, I think there is only so much they can take off before the part is not safe for use. I would check into it though.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, i got my car back today. I asked the mechanic if any of the bolts were loose and was told no. He said that every bolt was tight as it should have been. The flywheel was definitely warped but couldnt tell me if the pressure plate was also warped. I'll have to see how this clutch will hold and im hoping that it will last me til spring.