Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

whats wrong with my tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default whats wrong with my tranny?

i was cruising down highway one day in my trans am (@WOT) and when i shifted to 6th, the engine revved like it was in nuetral and the the gears started grinding (after it was already in gear). I coasted to a stop, then i tried to take off in 1st. The shifter went into gear with no problems but when i let out the clutch and tried to accelerate, the engine started revving and gears started grinding again. As long as i took off slow, and gently acclerate, i could get up to 4th gear, about 55mph untill it would rev up and grind again. if it started to grind, i just let off the throttle untill it grabs again and i can keep going. what is wrong with this thing? it does it in every gear if i give it too much throttle. is it my clutch? its got almost 100k miles on the stock clutch and its a 2000 so its got the crappy hydraulics. I guess im just hoping its the clutch and its not something wrong with the tranny. what do you think?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds bad and expesnsive. If its in all gears you may just have a clutch slip but it could also be a broken input shaft. Neither is cheap and both require a trans pull to check out.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoon
Sounds bad and expesnsive. If its in all gears you may just have a clutch slip but it could also be a broken input shaft. Neither is cheap and both require a trans pull to check out.
My money is on the clutch though. If the shaft were broken, I would tend to think the car isnt going to move at all.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

i had the exact same problem with mine on my stock clutch when it finally went out. i thought i had other problems but it just turned out to be my clutch. i installed a ram hd clutch kit and everything was fine.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

btw mine is a 2000 and at 104k miles at the time

Quick Reply: whats wrong with my tranny?