Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 problems

So I think it is time to rebuild my T56. I can not downshift from 3rd to 2nd in 99% of situations and if I shift hard into 3rd, the stick will go, but the tranny "hangs". Feels like the stick got wedged into something. When this happens, I have to use a great deal of force to pull it out of this false 3rd and back into neutral. Also the tranny is stiff when moving the stick side to side (such as from far left to far right of the stick's travel)

So here is the problem, I like doing things myself but have never rebuilt a tranny of any sort. I have average to above average mechanical skills I guess. I can install heads, cam all that. The question is, how do I diagnose the real problem with my tranny (ie. how will I know what to replace to fix these problems) and how hard is it for an average guy to do this? I have seen plenty of write ups and all that and have a T56 manual, but it is really intimidating. Please help!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Nobody has any ideas??
Old 10-17-2006, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Best thing I could say is drain the fluid (Check for Metal) drop it and remove the top inspection plate on the trans before you crack the case open. Yes....you need some specialized tools for snaprings, gears, and bearings. It can be hell not having the right tools for the job....I'd take it to a pro....I do. I haven't been familiar enough with the T-56's to start tearing them to pieces