Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch and flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default clutch and flywheel?

Hi guys, I was wondering if it's really neccesary to replace the flywheel on a clutch change on my Firehawk that has covered 29000miles. The reason I ask is that I suspect my slave cylinder is worn as my clutch fluid is black and I have already changed the master cylinder, also I get a whizzy? sound when pulling away when the car is warm. Whilst I'm doing that it may be an idea to change the clutch as it gets a bit smelly when in traffic, and many sites seem to recomend a flywheel or re-surfacing it.
BTW there is no clutch slip.
Sorry for the long question but I'm trying to be accurate with my symptoms.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The slave you have is one of the better designs compared to the 98-00 version. I would either resurface the flywheel or buy a stock new one. The sound maybe from either the throw-out bearing on the slave or the friction material in the clutch is worn to the point that steel has started to contact the flywheel and/or the pressure plate...in which case you could resurface it if it is in tolerance or you'll have to buy another flywheel. The bearing you could buy seperately from the slave....it's all on what you have to spend. A clutch on the way out it can still bite pretty good while still grinding down your flywheel....I've had my share of toasted clutches! Oh...it would be wise to change the pilot bearing in the crank while you have it apart...just a thought. Good Luck
Old 10-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its cheap insurance at 30 bucks to get it resurfaced. I wouldnt ever do a clutch without at least doing that. After all its 50% of your friction surface aka 50% of your clutch essentially.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the replies guys, I'd better save up as the weight of the flywheel pushes up shipping to over $370 to England!