Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec V???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec V???

I have a '01 Z that will make 800+ rwhp at 14#. While tuning on the dyno, the RPS clutch that was in there said good night @ 5K with 700+ rwtq and 740rwhp and climbing. I have blown up almost everything single and twin and spent enough to convert to an A-4.. But It is staying a stick.. I am down to the Cartek clutch or a Spec V. Give me the good and bad of both... Drag racing, street driving...etc.. Are Spec-V's all that terrible to street drive?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:07 PM
FormerVendor

The spec 5 is a sinterd iron disk. It is pretty harsh on the street but its the nature of the beast. Its pretty much a full race clutch, the engagement is verry fine and it makes a sqealing noise when being broken in. It really depends on what you consider streetable, sure its harsh engagement, but its do able.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had a Spec 5 for about 5,000 miles and probably a minimum of 50 hard launches. Other than the squeal some of the time I have no complaints. The clutch pedal isn't much heavier than stock. I only dump the clutch, usually at 4,000+ rpm, no feathering. The clutch requires no break in. Make sure you get a billet flywheel when you get the clutch.I always have the clutch and flywheel balanced locally. My machinist said the balance was pretty good right out of the box. He also told me it kept the same balance through a wide rpm range, appearantly alot of clutches are very difficult to balance, because the balance changes as the pressure plate is sped up.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys... I did order the billet flywheel too. And yes, I am having the whole assembly balanced locally before installation. I did not know that it needs no break in, but that makes sence. What is it like in the water box? Just drop in 2nd and dump it?? Anyone else with 2 cents...
Old 10-23-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm happy with mine. Other than the squeal, it's fine. The engagement is not "on / off" like you would think. It slips enough starting off. If it was my DD I would not have it, but its great for what I use it for.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Teching In

What do you think the average life on a Spec V would be for a Street racer who takes the car out on Saturday night and goes to the track 4-5 times a year? (maybe 15 passes annually) If I am street driving it does it shorten the life dramatically?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The SPEC dual disk will laugh at your 800rwhp.Has the engagement feel of a SPEC 3F.We have them in 2 cars more powerfull than yours and it is just the best clutch I've ever seen so far
Attached Thumbnails Spec V???-dsc02111.jpg  
Old 10-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The SPEC dual disk will laugh at your 800rwhp.Has the engagement feel of a SPEC 3F.We have them in 2 cars more powerfull than yours and it is just the best clutch I've ever seen so far
Matt at TTP and I spoke about this at great lengths... Neither one of us have never seen a dual disc last at the track.. With my luck, I will spend twice the dough to get into that setup, make one pass and kaaboom...
Old 10-24-2006, 06:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ForcedVette
Matt at TTP and I spoke about this at great lengths... Neither one of us have never seen a dual disc last at the track.. With my luck, I will spend twice the dough to get into that setup, make one pass and kaaboom...
Thats probly because they haven't run one We track the hell out of those cars,only clutch that has actually lasted in them.We use to go through 2-3 SPEC 5's a year