Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

possible master cylinder problem?? please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default possible master cylinder problem?? please help

My friend and I installed a new spec stage 3 clutch and an upgraded slave cylinder in his 99 SS with 20k miles. the slave is bled and the clutch is great. heres the problem-

after about 600 miles, it was getting tough for him to shift

when the car is off, it shifts fine, shifts into reverse

when its running, its really tough to shift it, and impossible to shift into reverse

we bled the slave again and there was no air in there at all. if the clutch was defective like the one i had before, it would roll if i started it in gear with the clutch in. but its fine.

so im gonna say its time for a new master cylinder.. Any ideas?
Old 10-26-2006, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only way it would be a master is if its grinding when hes trying to get it into gears. if its just "hard" to get it in then its not the master.

a master going bad will not fully disengage the clutch... which will make the transmissions internals turn rather than being disengaged and letting the sychros work. which will result in a grind just like when you try to push it into gear with the clutch not depressed.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If You Do Decide To Get A New Master, Buy One For An '02 Camaro. These Are An Upgrade And Are The Same Price As The Originals. I Am Actually Planning On Replacing Mine Tomorrow......