Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Clutch problem

I know I need a new clutch, just not sure how badly. After this probably now. Its cold outside, probably about 40 or so. I got outside to start the car and the clutch gets stuck to the ground. It won't retract, it just stays to the ground. I can pull it back, but that won't do me any good driving. I had this happen to me before last year, after a day it was okay. Any suggestions?
Old 10-29-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scorch1
I know I need a new clutch, just not sure how badly. After this probably now. Its cold outside, probably about 40 or so. I got outside to start the car and the clutch gets stuck to the ground. It won't retract, it just stays to the ground. I can pull it back, but that won't do me any good driving. I had this happen to me before last year, after a day it was okay. Any suggestions?
Probably a cracked slave actuator.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's a pretty good indication you've lost hydraulic pressure. Time to check things out....fluid leaks, bled it recently, low fluid, etc.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:19 AM
Launching!

So I should lean towards fluid related problems first?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:04 AM
Teching In

I had the same problem a couple weeks ago and it happened on a cold night and next day as well. My fluid was pitch black. I parked the car and then ordered myself a new clutch and new hydraulics and replaced them this past weekend. I'm still not sure if it was a function of a leaky fluid, or the fluid had condensation in it or what. I didn't notice any visible leaks around the slave or the master cylinder when I had them out of the car.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Junkie

That is definatly a slave problem, You can try changing the fluid, or you may be low. Most likely you need to replace it, and while you are replacing it you should change the clutch out as well. No need to pay for labor twice.