Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Partial Rebuild Question. (Advice Please!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Partial Rebuild Question. (Advice Please!!!)

Ok here is my question. For about the past 15,000 miles I have had the typical grinding of 3rd and 4th gears at high rpm quick shifts. Recently within the last 10,000 miles my 4th gear is gone. I mean its there it just will not without a doubt positively won't stay in. Whatever part holds the gear in gear is completley broken...(blockers or keys maybe or whatever it is). Ok so know I have a grindy 3rd gear and no 4th gear. However, my 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th gears are immaculate and shift like a dream. Reverse works fine as well. Ok and now for the question. Can I just completley rebuild the 3rd and 4th gears without touching the others? If so, what and I mean what all parts would I need? I would like to keep the actual stock 3 and 4 gears if they aren't chewed all up. My plan was to replace all 6 synchros and reverse and just redo every part in the 3rd and 4th gears. The reason for this is my college budget. Anyone who has simply rebuilt only the problamatic gears and had success please let me know. By the way, the t56 has 93k on the stock parts. Thanks for everything...Josh.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Please respond!!!
Old 11-08-2006, 07:51 PM
wrencher

You can just fix the gears affected yes if thats what your asking. But you also will be completely disassembling the whole trans to do it.
Unfortunetly you wont know if any speed gears are torn up until you get it apart.
You need to replace whatever is torn up IMO, as tearing it down again because its not right sucks.
I'd do it right while it is apart.
I have torn aprt plenty of them for single gear fixes, just a good inspection & repair or replacement of everything worn/unacceptable & you'll be good.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for that man...anyone else have some input? I'm wanting to hear positives about the idea but negatives on it are appreciated with good reasoning...Josh.