Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

removing tranny....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default removing tranny....

Whats the easiest way to get those top bolts, so I can slide the tranny from the bell housing, and remove my slave?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Drop the crossmember, and let the tailshaft hang down, while leaving some of the side bolts snug. Then use some long extensions to remove the top bolts. The top right (passenger side) bolt goes through a clip for the vent tube. This clip can make the bolt a pain to remove.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

After removing the shifter, I put the swivel socket on the bolts with a 20" extension and a 3/8 driver and broke them loose from inside the car through the shifter. You'll need patience maneuvering the swivel socket on the top bolts but it's not that bad. I used my finger to hold the vent tube down while sliding the socket on the bolt.

On a different area, is anyone putting jacks/safety stands under the engine and rear axle. I noticed this step in the helms and haynes manuals, but is this really necessary? I assume if you support the trans adequately while removing it, then there should be no stress on the engine or axle.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

I don't know why there would be ANY stress on the rear axle????

As for stress on the engine mounts, are you talking about while the trans is out? If so, then no, there is no stress on the engine mounts. If you are talking about just letting the engine and trans hang in the vehicle, with no support under the tailshaft of the transmission, that can cause some stress on the engine mounts.

When I remove the trans, I lower the tailshaft of the trans as far as it will drop, then add a little support to it. This allows access to all the bolts. I don't even bother taking the shifter off of the trans, just the shifter stick.

I am doing this on a lift, which makes it a whole lot easier.