Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

6spd problem (soft pedal)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6spd problem (soft pedal)

Well the same night i broke my rearend gears, somthing happend to my clutch hydraulics. When i put it in first, it doesn't really grind, but it makes a little "blip" then going from 1st to 2nd is very hard sometimes, sometimes it doesn't wanna shift into 2nd at all. The clutch pedal feels very soft, but the clutch engages normally and doesnt slip. I'm thinking it's the master or slave. The fluid in the master looked really bad so i'm gonna try bleeding it out and replacing it, but i doubt that will solve the problem, it's worth a try tho. Anyone had this same problem?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds quite a bit like a problem I had with my clutch shortly after I got the car. The clutch pedal lost pressure somewhere in the line and just dropped to the floor. If you were able to engage it, it worked fine, but bleeding it didn't help much. I swapped in a new master cylinder in about 30 minutes, and everything worked perfectly after that, so it looks like that might be all you have to do.

If I'm not mistaken, I think there were a lot of Camaros and Firebirds with the same problem in those early years of that body style (98-00), mine being a 99 SS. Eventually GM fixed the problem, but I've heard several different stories of those master cylinders going bad on the 98s and 99s