Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Big A$$ Crack

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big A$$ Crack

Im not sure which category to post this in but anyway, I replaced my factory trans mount tonight with the energy suspension poly mount and found something big time wrong under my car. Im not sure what the part is but its connected to the end of the transmission and also connects to the passenger side Y pipe. The pic will explain it better...

It looks like the part might just unbolt but im not sure. Any info on this would be awesome!

Jordan
Old 12-21-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

I think it just helps support the right side of the exhaust (the helms refers to it as the cat supporting bracket or something like that). It does just bolt up to the torque arm on the rear of the transmission. It's easy to replace, but I wonder why it would snap like that.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

It might be because of bad motor mounts if the engine is torqueing over that much, or mad wheel hop or some thing like that. Check the mounts and also the muffler mount. Some thing is moving around a lot for it to metal fatigue and snap like that.
BTW, how many miles on it?
Old 12-21-2006, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

The car has 139,XXX miles on it but the engine was replaced at around 80Kish by the previous owner. The engine does shake a little bit(also has a cam) but nothing harsh. I just had the trans rebuilt and clutch installed about 4,000miles ago so i guess it broke since then or i would think the shop would have noticed that and at least told me about it.

P.S. The rearend does shake really bad when going in reverse and also somtimes when taking off normally in first. It feels like an up and down motion that can get pretty violent sometimes, it shakes the **** outta everything.