Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

This tranny is driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry This tranny is driving me nuts!

.. though its mostly the stupid rebuilder's fault.
I have a pretty new centerforce clutch, new slave and (supposedly) all new syncros. I just pushed my car the hardest I have since the rebuild. I go into 2 fine, but when I go into 3 or for (slamming it) its like the syncros don't catch up and I get a grind. I slam the clutch holding it down for at least 1/2 second and if I move the shifter too fast this happens. I have to move it slow enough to feel it "notch" through the syncs.
Even parked. I have it in neutral, hold the clutch, wait up to a full second, then slam the shifter. Same issue. Does this happen to anyone else? Is this the sycros doing their job too slowly? I am about to go back to a T5. This sucks. Any help and I would really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what shifter? what tranny fluid? The system may not be bled enough also.

Josh
Old 04-10-2007, 08:35 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure it is not a hydraulic issue?
Have you tried to double pump the pedal & then shift it? Was the drill mod done to the line? Does the pedal have alot of free play in it?

I am a fan of adjstable masters to get the play ouy & have the most fluid compression possible. Have gottennight & day diffence in shift feel out of numerous vehicles w/ that mod alone.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something is not right. You should not need a drill mod to just row through the gears near redline. Not unless you are powershifting it or something and it doesn't sound like it.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats a clutch/hydrolic issue that if you keep driving without fixing it will destroy the tranny syncro's again.
The clutch is dragging(not fully disengaging.)
Old 04-11-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the clutch goes, I do the old test
Car parked (running) hold the clutch down put it in gear. Slide it out of gear (clutch pedal still down) and put it back in, just to see if it's at all notchy and its not, which means the clutch is disengaging properly (because the tranny never spins).
Also, if I am still, hold the clutch and wait, slam it into gear I get grindy noise, but not after the first time (if I never release the clutch), only the first time I slam it in. I don't even have to be reving it, just idle.
I am going to check the fluids because I realize its worse when it's cold.
Thanks for the info guys PLEASE KEEP IT COMING.

Quick Reply: This tranny is driving me nuts!