Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard to get into gear at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to get into gear at WOT

Okay I went to the dragstrip last week and could not for the life of me get it to go into third. It would go there but it is extremely hard to put it in gear. Same goes with Second. On the shift I have to wait for it to slide into gear. Is this what the Drill Mod fixes? Under normal driving it shifts fine into all gears.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:13 PM
wrencher

The drill mod will help this condition. That & the flush that it will get once the mod is complete. The fluid flush helps too.
You may also want to insulate theclutch line, specially if you have long tubes.
I use heat wrap foil & then some hose slit lengthwise to help keep the heat away.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

I'm curious about this myself, my car sometimes is difficult to put into 2nd gear... only on a down shift though, I have to let it slide in also. A whirring sound can be heard while I'm applying ample pressure for it to slide into 2nd gear. I just had a new clutch/flywheel/TO bearing put it but the car has done this as long as I've owned it. Doesn't happen when I rev up properly before down shifting to 2nd. This happens for me during every day driving though. Bleh our problems probably aren't even related.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeresous
I'm curious about this myself, my car sometimes is difficult to put into 2nd gear... only on a down shift though, I have to let it slide in also. A whirring sound can be heard while I'm applying ample pressure for it to slide into 2nd gear. I just had a new clutch/flywheel/TO bearing put it but the car has done this as long as I've owned it. Doesn't happen when I rev up properly before down shifting to 2nd. This happens for me during every day driving though. Bleh our problems probably aren't even related.
I have the same problem but with all gears
Old 04-11-2007, 10:15 AM
9 Second Club

maybe a bent shift fork ??
Old 04-11-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

I doubt it is a shift fork. Worn shift forks cause breakage of the slider keys that will only affect the gears associated with that slider. He is having a problem of not getting into any gear so it is most likely a hydaulic issue as wrencher said. Go to www.installuniversity.com and use their instuctions for the drill mod. When done with that bleed the system and run about 2 full bottles of fluid through. That should help you dramatically.

Oh I forgot, How many miles are on the car, clutch and slave/master cylinder?

Quick Reply: Hard to get into gear at WOT