Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

C6 LS7 clutch shifting probs...pilot bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 LS7 clutch shifting probs...pilot bearing?

im working on a c6 that we built a 402CI motor for and i have had nothing but problems with getting the clutch probs figured out. I installed a new ls7 clutch, ls2 flywheel, master and slave. The clutch engages perfectly at mid stroke, but there is a problem when going to shift gears. I cant tell if its grinding or chattering, but it is definately holding back the shift and making it difficult to shift into every gear (so its not the tranny) It almost seems like the slave isnt applying enough pressure to disengage the clutch, causing it hard to shift, so we bled and bled using every method known. pump, hold, bleed at slave.....push the pedal down as you are bleeding at the slave, mity vac at 10 in vacuum. I was getting some minor air with the mity vac, but it stopped and everything seems perfect.

The main question is, when the engine was built, it used a ls1 style crank with a smaller diameter pilot bearing than the ls2's have. I put the stock ls1 style bearing in there, and it wasnt as tight as they usually are in the crank...could this be set in further and not making contact withthe shaft? e verything seemed to go in fine withthe engine install. Will a bad pilot bearing (possibly loose in the crank) cause these problems im having? I could see it messing with shifts more in a fbody since it is drectly connected tot he tranny, but not so much in a vette since the shaft in the torque tube has bearings on both ends to support it.

Any other ideas or suggestions? thanks

Quick Reply: C6 LS7 clutch shifting probs...pilot bearing?