Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Replacing master cyclinder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing master cyclinder?

Well i am finally going to replace the clutch master cyclinder in my car and i had a quick question. After i put the new one in am i going to have to bleed the clutch or can i just put it in and go? If so how much should i have to bleed it? Thanks
Old 05-03-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I did bleed it, from the get go, the clutch felt solid as soon as I connected the line. The quick disconnect is supposed to prevent the need to bleed.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. Yeah i was told that the GM master cyclinder is pre-bled. I guess i am just going to have to put it on and see how it feels. I know installuniversity says to bleed the clutch but that is for a Mcleod master.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just bought a gm master cylinder from ws6store.com. It said it was pre-bled also. once it was installed we just figured we would drive it and see how it felt and it was perfect. Make sure you get GM, the aftermarkets aren't pre-bled.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I disconnected my master from the slave...fluid came out. Not a lot, maybe a table spoon. But that to me means that it should be bled. If nothing else, atleast to flush the old fluid out of the slave cylinder and get the new fluid in there.

I would do it just to be on the safe side. And while you have the master out, do some good heat insulating on it. My recipe is overkill but consists of alum foil, a heat sleeve, heater hose, then accel fiberglass spark plug boots over it all.

Sounds like a lot but those spark plug boots are fantastic. 2000 miles with one laying against the header and it didnt even turn brown, and the plug boot looks brand new.

J.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

sorry i missed ur im last night man but as fort the gm master it is pre-bled but before you put it in id drill mod it