Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

what all is needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what all is needed?

Ok my clutch is slipping. I have a 99 ta with basic bolt ons. I am looking at the ls7 kit. But what all to I need to get? I am on a very tight budgett.

I found this kit
http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...12295a976c591e

but do I need all that stuff? What is my cheapest option?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, you need everything on that page except the ARP bolt kit. The $6 GM bolt kit below it is fine. I would also order a new pilot bearing with it. It's only $13 so not bad. Call Byunspeed and Young will set you up with all the parts you need.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks man....
Old 05-08-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

can someone tell me whats the least I can do? Do I have to replace the slave cylnder and the hydraulic main? $700+ seems like a lot to replace a clutch. Who knows when I will ahve that money. Thanks
Old 05-08-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be a good idea to replace the slave, but if it's not leaking it's not a real necessity. If you're looking to do the bare minimum here's some options. Your local auto parts store (autozone/advance etc.) should have a clutch kit that comes with a pp flywheel and disc. They can be had for anywhere form $350-$500. Also you could take your flywheel to a machine shop, have it turned and pick up a pressure plate/disc setup. For your mods that'll be plenty of performance. I went withe a Centerforce I PP and disc and got them at Summit (not the cheapest) and still came out around $350. I'm sure you could do better if you shopped it around. I feel ya, seems like stuff always breaks when you don't have the cash to do it fix it how you'd like.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Launching!

I got quoted 150$ or so for a matched master/slave. I would DEFINITELY recommend getting them, since its just gonna cost more if it has to come out again to fix. Your '99s slave has a bad design that was fixed from 01-02, and thats now all they carry.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

well....after talking to some people I think I am going to get a spec clutch and PP and have my FW redone. Then just buy a new slave. I am kinda scared about a spec though, arne't they know to lead to a broke tranny?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to take all the stories you hear with a grain of salt. Granted some manufacturers might be more or less prone to failure, but a clutch's performance is VERY dependant on the installation. Just to give you a list of things that can screw up a clutch....

Imporperly torqued flywheel or pressure plate bolts, PP or FW that isn't flat, glazed PP or flywheel, damaging the disc when installing the trans, trans to engine alignment issues, improper clutch stack height (didn't use shims etc), hydraulics aren't properly bled, improperly adjusted master cylinder, disc/pp/fw not cleaned of contaminants before install, disc installed backwards, clutch not broken in properly, clutch outright abused even after broken in, improper clutch selection for HP/torque.

That's just the stuff that comes to mind off the top of my head. Contact the manufacturers of the products in your price range, get a feel for how they treat their customers, and how they claim their product will perform and go from there.