Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Got my new tex twin disc no instructions ..questions..?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Got my new tex twin disc no instructions ..questions..?

OK know its not rocket science and been around the block with a clutch or two in my other cars and my 99 but got no instructions with the twin.
So what torque for the flywheel bolts? and it has these huge allen bolts holding the hole thing together..what torque for them? Should I use red loctite on both flywheel and the huge allen bolts or just flywheel and maybe blue on the huge allen bolts? Is the thing marked front and rear on the disc. I assume its put together right mabye by Byun speed but dont want anything in there backwards!
I will have to say the thing looks very very serious sitting there on that pretty flywheel.
Sure looks like it will do a good job on my TT TA.
Should I expect it to chatter for awhile on break in.Will it always chatter a bit. A bit won't bother me that much. How is the twin pedal pressure compared to stock clutch? how is it for slipping when needed and for grabbing? Will my stock axles break right away on just nittos if don't launch that high..? I am buying a 9 inch soon anyway but maybe not till next spring.
Is the clutch noisy or not ? Again might have deal with bit of noise to have this type of power handling and anyone know what the twin is rated for. I assume have the basic twin.Basic package offered by Byun.

Also assume good idea to clean flywheel with brake cleaner sometimes they come coated in oil.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed mine a couple weeks ago, you can search my user name for a thread I started on noise and a couple other threads I posted in.

I used red loctite on flywheel and PP bolts. Torqued them to stock specs (I can't quote them, you can search them or look them up on ls1howto.com).

Mine had no chatter. Pedal is heavier than stock but lighter than my 1st generation cartek clutch that it replaced. I broke mine in by driving it "normal" for the first 5 heat cycles (stop and go traffic launches, light throttle, 2-3K rpm).

Always brake clean the surfaces when installing.

Stock rear? That's a trick question. You could drive it nice and not break it for a lifetime. Or if you wanted, you could snap it in about 5 minutes with your tex / nitto combo. Your choice
Old 05-16-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok so the pedal pressure is not that high. I always thought a twin should be pretty light. I have cartech now and its fair pressure one of the older designs.I normally don't keep clutch held down in heavy traffic or at lights.
So is this noise super loud or just a bit noticeable when you push it in ? out of 10 how annoying is it with stereo on and heater on and fairly loud catback? My cartech clutch also makes some type of noise too. Not a bit deal though.

And so what is with no instructions..is there supposed to be a break in for this or not and what are you supposed to do for it. And bit worried that one guy said his chatters bad in othe post and he thinks its slipping? That better not be true or be wanting refund or upgrade to triple or something. Chatter can simply be a matter of mileage on some clutches.And sometimes clutch needs some hard launches to make it less too. And you can still get some clutches to chatter with your driving still trying to leave at super low rpm and let it out quick at low rpm etc. Cartech has a bit of chatter sometimes too. Pretty much any high perf clutch can have a bit.

Most worried about guy that says his is slipping. I also did the drill mod to my master line. I used brand new slave and master .Clutch will be installed in next few days. I only have cam in car and underdrive pulleys. Turbos likely won't be on until new motor is built and installed likely next spring.
Also question.if I use red loctite on flywheel and pressure plate will I be able to take clutch out to transfer it to the new motor without damage?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Man after seeing the pics of that tex a few posts about not sure even want to install this thing in my car mabye just demand credit and go to a different make.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your unit did not ship with instructions, I apologize for that. You can shoot me an email @ admin@textralia.com.au and I'll get you instrction, pictures, or anything else you need. The discs are marked indicating orientation.

I think most folks are very happy with the clutch once they have it in. We strive every day for 100% cusotmer satisfaction.

The exo-skel will have some slight noise from the floater plate when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. Its a slight metallic "ring" or "shimmer". Its the nature of a floater plate to sometimes make some noise. It has not been reported to us to be grossly annoying. But, that comes down to amatter of personal preference. As another possible option, you can also eliminate this by letting the clutch out, and leaving the car in neutral as opposed to having the clutch pedal depressed, and the car in gear.