Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help with clutch woes (RAM Powergrip HD + 500rwhp)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with clutch woes (RAM Powergrip HD + 500rwhp)

Here's the situation:

'99 Corvette putting down 505rwhp on 100 shot of nitrous, 400rwhp on motor. When I modded the engine, I had a RAM Powergrip HD clutch installed with new steel flywheel and an updated slave cylinder, master cylinder wasn't changed as itwas about 18 months old.

My problem started last weekend when I took my car to the dragstrip, and thoroughly hot-lapped it (I am talking like 20 passes in 2 hours). I drove the hell out the car that day. On my way home I noticed the clutch pedal felt different than normal and was beginning to slip. Problem: Clutch now engages at the very top of pedal travel, like the full engagement point is higher than the pedal can go. Clutch engagement point used to be in the middle of pedal travel, but is now much higher. Car shifts fine, but the clutch now slips when given a good amount of throttle, but is not consistent in the slippage.

I took a look at the fluid and it was black, I did the Ranger flush about 7 times until the reservoir was clear. This didn't help. Is my clutch/pressure plate toast or is this a hydraulic issue or both?

I appreciate any advice given.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like your clutch is toast.

If you had a hydraulic problem, the pedal would be low. Time for a new RAM!