Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

CTS-V T-56 Shifting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTS-V T-56 Shifting Problems

Not really sure how this happens. But last Friday morning before I left to go to Hot August nights at 5am, I started the car and tried to put it in 1st. The shifter didn't want to engage. I doulbe clutched it a few times, trying to put the shifter into a few different gears, and it finally said YES. Then I get to the coffee shop and get my coffee. Get into the car and tried to put the shifter into reverse. Same problem. The shifter didn't like it and wouldn't let me engage it into reverse. So after numerous double clutching and putting the car into random gears I was able to put the transmission into reverse. I had no other shifting problems on my way to Reno.

On the way home. I get into my car at my parents house and try to shift the transmission into reverse again. Nope. It won't let me. Kinda wierd. I just coasted out of the driveway instead.

This is on a 2005 Cadillac CTS-V. I posted over on the Cadillac forums, but wanted to get some more input. And since a lot of you have T-56 6-speeds, maybe a few of you have encountered the same thing.

So what do you guys think is the problem? Maybe not enough trans fluid? Clutch fluid? Maybe finnicky shifter? Maybe my CAGS eliminator isn't cooperating? What do you guys think?
Old 08-08-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

How many miles on your clutch fluid? Check it out. Is it black? If so flush and then bleed the system. This should be done as regular maintenance. A Good starting point.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PureWS6
How many miles on your clutch fluid? Check it out. Is it black? If so flush and then bleed the system. This should be done as regular maintenance. A Good starting point.
28k miles. I will look at it today. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

Bump for more suggestions. Thinking maybe the clutch fluid needs to be bled and re-filled. Any suggestions on brand of fluid? How about transmission fluid suggestions?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found that my clutch resevoir was almost completely empty. Luckily a friend at work had a bottle of brake fluid in their car. Drove it home and the shifting did feel a bit smoother. We'll just see if it cures the T-56 morning sickness.

I will be bleeding the clutch system very soon. Might put my last bottle of Motul in it. We'll see.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clutch fluid doesn't really "go" anywhere... It's supposed to be a closed system. if the resevoir is empty you are losing fluid somewhere... maybe the slave or master is leaking..
Old 08-15-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SladeX
Clutch fluid doesn't really "go" anywhere... It's supposed to be a closed system. if the resevoir is empty you are losing fluid somewhere... maybe the slave or master is leaking..
I have to agree. I would inspect the system, look for leaks...and hope it didn't leak all over your clutch!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PureWS6
I have to agree. I would inspect the system, look for leaks...and hope it didn't leak all over your clutch!
I will look. The clutch feels as good as it ever has right about now. I don't even have to slip the clutch as much when I take off from a light. **** feels solid now.

Quick Reply: CTS-V T-56 Shifting Problems