Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

pops out of reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pops out of reverse.

i have a 2000 WS6 M6. Its been popping out of reverse quite constantly. maybe 2-3 times per reverse. Its really aggravating that it pops outta reverse when im backing into/out of a parking spot and what now. What causes this and how can i fix it?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The T56, like all constant-mesh transmissions, is held in gear by the synchronizers. If it is popping out of reverse, then the problem concerns the reverse synchronizer. Parts of the synchronizer and/or shift linkage are probably worn. In any case, the problem can not be fixed without removing and disassembling the transmission. You need a rebuild.

Last edited by Gary Z; 09-07-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Mine is doing the same atm, what I find helpful is just keeping my hand on the shifter while reversing and holding it in gear. Basicly preventing it from popping out. Thats my fix untill I do a rebuild.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

I really dont intend on high jacking the thread, but my friends got a similar problem and I was wondering if its the same issue here.

Shes got a 2000 dodge dakota sport with a 5 speed and 3.9L. It pops out of 1st gear all the time which is dangerous cause she gets stuck in the road trying to turn onto busy streets.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gary Z
The T56, like all constant-mesh transmissions, is held in gear by the synchronizers. If it is popping out of reverse, then the problem concerns the reverse synchronizer. Parts of the synchronizer and/or shift linkage are probably worn. In any case, the problem can not be fixed without removing and disassembling the transmission. You need a rebuild.
This is not correct . The syncronizers job is to slow the gear down so that the slider can slider over the small teeth (enguagement teeth) on the gear . Once the sleeve is over the gear , the sleeve has a back cut behind the contact points that lock it into gear . The gear as well is machined like this as well . If its popping out of gear , its because you barely have it in gear to begin with . This could be due to a few different reasons . One is the fork inserts are broken and the fork does not push the slider far enough over the gear to lock it in . Another cause could be the clutch is not slowing down fast enough so the reverse gear is spinning too fast when you are trying to get it into reverse .

Try this next time before sticking into reverse . Push the clutch it , shift into 1st and then into reverse . If the problem goes away after doing this , its the clutch . If not than you have issues in the reverse area of the transmission .

Good luck and hope this helps out .......
Old 09-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DonnyD
i have a 2000 WS6 M6. Its been popping out of reverse quite constantly. maybe 2-3 times per reverse. Its really aggravating that it pops outta reverse when im backing into/out of a parking spot and what now. What causes this and how can i fix it?
My transmission was doing that for a long time, the problem kept getting worse and worse, as the transmission started jamming into 5th and 6th. Problems like this usually happen when the shift from 45h - 5th is missed resulting in damage to the reverse gear... consequently my transmission is bieng rebuilt this week.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Teching In

This will most likely be your solution I did this with my tranny while repairing other problems (tooth gone from 5th gear) and it is the best fix for the reverse issues, I have 3k miles on the car since the fix with no ill effects. I used a grinder on the fork instead of a lathe being careful to keep it sqaure by using a dial caliper. Once you get the tranny apart you will clearly see the problem. All of the other gears fully engage, but reverse still has an 1/8th inch to go before fully engaging.
Here is a link with great pics of the process. http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/t...56-reverse.html
Old 10-01-2007, 10:20 PM
Banned

Your link doesn't work ....
Old 10-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Sorry, try this link.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tr...6-reverse.html

thirdgen.org/techboard/transmissions-drivetrain/395377-tonys-t-56-reverse.html

The other link worked for me last night?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is it me or am I the only one that holds the shifter while in gear unless i'm just cruising?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Teching In

It's you, you haven't had this problem. Sometimes it would not go into gear at all and you would start to let out the clutch and it would just grind. Really not a good deal if you are trying to back out of a parking spot and keep rolling forward everytime you let off the brake to use the gas. It didn't matter how hard you pushed. Now it engages easy and comes out easy just like every other gear.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine does this tooo...damned reverse thing...but since ia m going to rebuild the engine..mihgt as well drop about 2Kish at T56 and get them to build my T56 as well!!
Old 10-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Launching!

I pulled my T56 apart because it was doing this a couple years ago and the reverse gear was worn so i replaced it and the bronze syncro I guess its called is only used on 1 side for reverse but has teeth on both sides If i remember correctly so I spun it around to the good side. After that It never slipped out of reverse again. Only wound up paying for a reverse gear and new fluid.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mrbowtie26
I pulled my T56 apart because it was doing this a couple years ago and the reverse gear was worn so i replaced it and the bronze syncro I guess its called is only used on 1 side for reverse but has teeth on both sides If i remember correctly so I spun it around to the good side. After that It never slipped out of reverse again. Only wound up paying for a reverse gear and new fluid.
Pretty smart thinking on the reverse slider .........
Old 10-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Teching In

The reason it is wearing out is because it is not completely engaging into reverse. Switching it around is a temporary fix that will last for a while, but it will eventually do it again. Next time it is apart grind the shift fork and add the washers and be done with it forever. It is a design flaw. This solution really does work and is very simple.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Same problem w/ not wanting to go into reverse at all? I couldn't get the bitch into reverse the other day. Being as I just got the car and haven't even registered it yet, I thought it was me.... It eventually went but i had to slam it in.....

Quick Reply: pops out of reverse.