Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

anybody ever machine a slave down?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anybody ever machine a slave down?

I need to open the gap between my throw out bearing and my pressure plate, I am ~1/16"-3/32" too tight (no gap + 1/16"-3/32"!!!) and need to be about -1/8", so I need to take 3/16"-1/4" from somewhere to open the gap. I don't know how deep I can go on the back side of the slave before going through to the fluid ports. Anyone ever do this before? If not, how else can I open the gap up? Trans spacer? Any tips? Thanks.
Joe

Last edited by kwiksilverz; 09-08-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:21 AM
wrencher

Why do you need to open the gap, I have to ask???
It would be easier to just run the correct clutch set up? I wouldn't want to weaken the slave by machining it down IMO.
Maybe you could get away with it machining thataway from the front plate of the trans, but you could ruin it as well.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do you have a stock master?

get a adjustable one if not.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wrencher
Why do you need to open the gap, I have to ask???
It would be easier to just run the correct clutch set up? I wouldn't want to weaken the slave by machining it down IMO.
Maybe you could get away with it machining thataway from the front plate of the trans, but you could ruin it as well.
Because Spec does not how to make a clutch fit a car and then blames the car for it. From day one I had concerns about it being too tight and they kept telling me it was fine- until it started slipping, now it's "maybe it's too tight, it's probably the slave"- GM does not make their slaves 1/4" too thick in some cars and not in others lol. I paid $14xx for the Twin Disk clutch and was assured by them it would work great, now I have gotten hardly any support from day one other than "they work for other people, so it has to work for yours too- something must be wrong with the car". The numbers don't lie- the clutch is almost a full 1/4" too tall to work properly in this car. You can see the back side of the throw out bearing is chewed up a bit from rubbing on the face of the slave! Now *I'm* stuck making it work in my car.

Every problem I see with Specs have something to do with this gap- too loose or too tight, yet Spec always blames the car "clutch works, you just had to space/machine parts of your car for it to fit properly". It is easy to shim if it is too loose, but where the hell am I going to get 1/4" to take away from ???

My wife is hounding me to just let her stop payment on the credit card- has been since day one because there has been no support from them other than "it works, it must be your car"- yeah, they made my slave 1/4" too big.. Maybe I'll let her dispute it, maybe that would get things resolved. I have had this trans out 4 times since the clutch install due to this and they just keep saying "nope, nothing wrong"- now it is slipping with 4k miles on it and the disk only has ~.004-.005 wear on it, so it isn't like it's worn out... It just plain doesn't ******* fit!!

They are good at saying "never heard that before" when there is someone else here who had to make a spacer for his trans to get the space he needed. So apparently I'm not the only one who found the setup to be too tight. I'm sure if more people measured, they'd frealize it too.

Sorry for the novel, this is starting to **** me off.
Joe
Old 09-09-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by studderin
do you have a stock master?

get a adjustable one if not.
Not the master- the throw out bearing is bottomed out all the way and is actually rubbing on the face of the slave and it is still applying pressure to the clutch, there is no way to back that off hydraulically. The throw out bearing needs to be moved almost 1/4" back somehow .
Joe
Old 09-09-2007, 08:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We had to machine our slave/tob when we went to the Mcleod Slipper Clutch. Mcleod actually recommends machining it and if you need to know how call the shop. Joe can tell you what he did.

Thanks,
Amber
Old 09-09-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.
We had to machine our slave/tob when we went to the Mcleod Slipper Clutch. Mcleod actually recommends machining it and if you need to know how call the shop. Joe can tell you what he did.

Thanks,
Amber
Thanks Amber, I'll give him a call in a few. I just can't see getting 1/4" off it though, hopefully there is room. I would not have a problem at all if Spec recommended machining it, but they tell you to just put it right in with no mention of checking clearances or anything then when it doesn't work, they pretty much tell you that it must be you or your car.
Joe

edit- N/M, forgot it's Sunday. I'll call there tomorrow.

Last edited by kwiksilverz; 09-09-2007 at 10:03 AM.

Quick Reply: anybody ever machine a slave down?