Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is my clutch smoked?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:31 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my clutch smoked?

Hey guys,

I have a Textralia OZ700 with a steel flywheel that's about 15 months old and has roughly 20k miles and 150 track passes on it. This clutch was pretty good to me so far. I recently had the transmission rebuilt, and a couple weeks after getting the car back, I'm having some problems.

Occasionally, when I try to put the car in gear I hear a sound that I can't quite nail down. This is either the gears in the tranny grinding or it's the clutch squealing (which it does when it's cold sometimes). My first thought would be hydraulic problems, but the clutch has seen a lot of use, and the pedal pressure is normal.

As I said, my clutch squeals occassionally, but it normally happens only when it's cold or damp. Typically, it will only happen one or two times from a dead stop until the clutch heats up, and then it stops. Now it's happening pretty consistantly.

All this may add up to an obvious clutch problem to one person, but I've never worn a clutch out before. I always hear about how they start by slipping. I've never heard anything about disengagement problems or squealing when a clutch is worn out.

Any advice?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Spec 3 that squealed more and more as it aged. It always worked fine though. I'd bleed your system to make sure there's no air and check the condition of your fluid. Change the fluid in the cylinder if it's black (several times over the next several weeks). Go from there.