Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

no sixth gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default no sixth gear

I just got my swap running a week or so ago and finally took it on the freeway and much to my surprise I have no sixth gear. It feels like it engages but when I let out the clutch it just free revs. If I try to hold it in gear it grinds and makes all sorts of bad noises. I'm guessing I'm going to need a trans rebuild and was wondering if this is something I can do myself or if it's better to just have a shop do it? Also are there any known weak points I should take care of at the same time?

This is a '01 LS1/T56 from a junkyard with supposedly 38,000 miles. All other gears work perfectly, just no sixth. Oh yeah, it's in my '85 Celica so I'm really hoping it won't be to hard to pull the trans. Any help is appreciated, and if anyone knows a good shop in the Fort Worth area it would be awesome.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Banned

No 6th gear but everything else works ?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Exactly, no strange noises or anything in any of the other gears. I don't think it's a synchro because the shifter moves into the slot for sixth just fine, just once you get it there it doesn't transfer any power. Any ideas?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Banned

Really strange . The only thing that comes to mind is the small teeth in the 6 th gear are sheared off (which I have never seen happen) or there is an issue with the 5/6 fork itself but I would think 5th would have something wrong as well .
Old 11-12-2007, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Okay, I pulled the trans and pulled the tailshaft housing off and found that the small pads on the 5/6 shift fork were missing on the sixth gear side. It simply didn't have enough movement to fully engage sixth gear. The teeth themselves look great but the syncro and blocker ring look pretty beat up. I'll probably get a new shift fork as well due to it grinding on the blocker ring. Time to order parts, hopefully it won't be to expensive.