Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What HP do you need a adj. master cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What HP do you need a adj. master cylinder?

I'm swapping out my ram vds for a LS7/LS2 clutch.I have a adj.master that craped out on me.Well i can get a brand new GM master for dirt cheap or i can buy a used low mile mcloed for a decent price.

Do i need a adj. master with a LS7 clutch?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A GM master is recommended for the LS7 clutch.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my McLeod adj master. I had been running my OZ700 clutch with the stock master with bolt-ons making 354/373, and had no issues what-so-ever. I installed the heads/cam and the VERY first time I tried to shift when the light illuminated at 6700 it blocked me out! The stocker didnt have the ***** and it just would not shift when driven hard.

I ordered up a McLeod and adjusted it properly and never looked back! I've had it in since sept of 06, and put about 10-11k on it. Still kicking ***!
Old 11-22-2007, 05:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the HP rating of your car doesn't really have much (if any) effect on whether or not you need an adjustable master cylinder. that relies more on the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate setup you intend to use.

personally, i'd get a RAM adjustable master cylinder (it's really just a stock GM unit made adjustable) and be done with it. i've heard some nasty horror stories about the McLeod adjustable unit, and it's simply too expensive of a cylinder to have that many horror stories about it.

so i vote for a RAM adjustable, and do the drill mod while you're in there.

the adjustable master lets you adjust the clutch engagement point to exactly where you want it to be. it may take several adjustments to get it just right, but you can still get it where you want it.