Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Position Switch...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Position Switch...

I'll try and make it quick and simple.

Just recently (past week or two) my car will not start the first time I try it. But it always fires up the 2nd time.

My battery, grounds, and starter are fine.

However I think it might be the clutch position switch. I think it is this because when I first press my clutch in, and turn the key, nothing happens at all (my gauge cluster needles "freak out" aka they rotate to full rotation and then back to zero). There is no "click" or nothing, key turns like I'm just turning it to the "on" position, instead of the start.

But the 2nd time, like clockwork, I'll let go of the clutch pedal, press it back in, and it fires up perfectly. This leads me to think it is the clutch position switch to turn on the car.

Question: Where is the switch? Is it easy to replace? How do I replace it?

Any further comments on what it also might be are welcome.

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:01 AM
Banned

it is definently your battery!!!! all 99's have the problem that if u hav a low battery the guages will start going crazy till the volts reach normal!! i have forgot my rad fans on once, with my manual fan switch, and when the car barely started the guages went crazy!!! until the volts went normal, try getting a new battery! your volts may be good but i bet your amps are low!! take it to autozone and let them check it
Old 12-15-2007, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Will do. Yes, the volts were fine, but I'll check it out.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to rule out the switch, you can jump both sides of the switch together with a wire and it'll bypass it. Careful though, you can start the car w/out the clutch and in gear.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

same thing happened to me a week ago. instrument cluster went berserk when clutch was in and car failed to start. i had also recently replaced my battery. After 2 hours of trying to diagnose what the hell was going on, it turns out i didnt tighten the positive terminal of my battery tight enough.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:30 PM
10 Second Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Switch is low on the left under the clutch arm when its depressed. Pull off the heavy wired terminal on the left side of the switch and put a jumper in. And just remember the car will jump ahead if you crank it without the clutch fully disengaged or shifter in neutral.

Good luck, Tom
Old 12-15-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome and thanks guys. I'll try all of the stated recommendations and let you all know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Clutch Position Switch...