Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T/O Bearing is wearing on the pressure plate fingers? **PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:44 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T/O Bearing is wearing on the pressure plate fingers? **PICS**

Hey all,

I have a strange issue. I have a new McLeod RXT twin disk with McLeod's billet steel flywheel. I have an OEM slave and T/O bearing, both new, and a new QuickTime SFI bellhousing. This is all brand new and has seen about 500 miles since installation.

I've had a couple problems since the setup was installed. First is a hydraulic issue where pedal pressure is inconsistant. This is probably due to bleeding problems, but I have a pressure bleeder now, so hopefully that's going to be gone. The second issue was a vibration due to the clutch being out of balance, so I pulled the tranny and had the clutch balanced.

The shop that balanced the clutch noticed that the fingers on the pressure plate have suffered significant wear. Not only is there a shiny spot worn on each finger, but they have been discolored. I also looked at the T/O bearing, and it's got a nice, golden ring on it. I can't FEEL the ring, but you can certainly see it.

Another thing worth pointing out is that the SFI bellhousing is slightly longer than the stock one pushing the tranny back about 1/32 of an inch. The T/O bearing seems to be fine. It turns nice and smoothly. It's got enough resistance that I couldn't spin it in my hand, but it turns very easily and is extremely smooth.

What in the world do you guys think that I should do about this?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Teching In

The throw out bearing is not making contact with the pressure plate fingers when the clutch is engaged. The throw out bearing should be in contact with the fingers all the time so that it is spinning the same speed as the pressure plate. Your throw out bearing is not spinning when the clutch is engaged, then when you press the pedal and the throw out bearing contacts the PP fingers there is a speed difference. The wear happens during the moment when the throw out bearing is accelerating to match the speed of the PP fingers.

The fix is to shim the slave to move it closer to the pressure plate.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:24 PM
11Second Club

That all makes sense, but there's a spring pushing the throwout bearing into the fingers of the pressure plate even when the clutch is engaged? The spring is new, so I know that it can't be a faulty spring causing the problem.

Also, since the flanges on the SFI bellhousing are retardedly thick, is it possible that I could machine them down instead of shimming the slave? And also, where can I buy shims for the slave?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

That spring does not push the bearing into the fingers, well at least it is not supposed to.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The spring adds a little tension onto the throwout bearing causing it to contact the pressure plate, though it's main goal isn't to make up for the slack if the clutch is too far from the slave.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gauge
That all makes sense, but there's a spring pushing the throwout bearing into the fingers of the pressure plate even when the clutch is engaged? The spring is new, so I know that it can't be a faulty spring causing the problem.

Also, since the flanges on the SFI bellhousing are retardedly thick, is it possible that I could machine them down instead of shimming the slave? And also, where can I buy shims for the slave?
Speed Inc has shims for sale on their site. Much cheaper than trying to machine down the bellhousing.

Other than that how do you like the clutch? McLeod claims it to be lighter, but on install did you notice it to be any lighter than what came out (or better yet did you weigh it?) Ive been looking at the RST but im torn between that and another spec IV
Old 02-25-2008, 10:37 AM
11Second Club

My man Gilbert at Ace Racing Transmissions took a look at the fingers of the clutch and the T/O bearing. He said that it looked normal. There is no groove in the T/O bearing. You can't feel that ring on it at all... it's only a discoloration that you can see.

He also said that the fingers of the pressure plate were heat treated by McLeod, so they were discolored like that when it was brand new. So, I'm going to just slap it all back together. Thanks for the input everyone!

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Other than that how do you like the clutch? McLeod claims it to be lighter, but on install did you notice it to be any lighter than what came out (or better yet did you weigh it?) Ive been looking at the RST but im torn between that and another spec IV
I have no complaints about the clutch so far (apart from the fact that it was out of balance). The engagement is like stock or maybe even easier. It's extremely smooth, there is no chatter, and the pedal is very light. I haven't tested it at the track yet, though.

Quick Reply: T/O Bearing is wearing on the pressure plate fingers? **PICS**