Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What fluid should I use in my T-56 as per Tremec techincal support

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.
Royal Purple was previously recomended by us,(more than 2 years ago) but in light of some new info from Libertys Gears, we no longer recomend Royal Purple. Royal Purple has and additive in it that attacks the blocker ring material, and it thins out/ breaks down toward the end of it life cycle. This is not a test that we have done in house, but Liberty Gears, placed a blocker ring in a container filled with Royal Purple , and one in Mobil 1, and after several weeks they noticed that the carbon material from the blocker ringn in Royal Purple started to deteriate. This test was performed several years ago. As a side note I use Royal Purple in my race engine
so mobile 1 ATF is safe on a stock tranny?
Old 02-28-2008, 08:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes Mobil 1 is what is preferred by us and most shops we speak with. GM Synchromesh is what is in it from the factory and is a Dextron 3 fluid. Mobil 1 ATF is Dextron 3 compatible.

Amber
Old 02-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I cannot say that I have ever tested RP or any other fluid like Liberty has claimed to do but can say that I have been using it (RP SYNCROMAX) since the early 2000 and have not experienced a single failure from a transmission due to using Syncromax in the unit . This is not limited to the T56 unit . I have used or suggested it to be used in applications ranging from NV4500 HD 5 spd behind Cummins TD to 3 spd Saginaws for circle track applications .

The only issues I've had with RP was with their ATF fluid (not Syncromax) and it was that the fluid was too slick and glazing the inner friction of the syncro when the syncro was applied to the gear . I spoke with RP about the issue and thats when they informed me that I needed to use the Syncromax since it had friction modifier agents in it to help with this issue .
Old 02-28-2008, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know which fluid Liberty tested, it could have been the atf fluid and not the Syncromax.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd recommend keeping away from Redline, last I checked they did not have API approval for their fluids. something in their formula "may" perform better in the short term, but could screw something up like RP in the long run.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Banned

I don't know which fluid Liberty tested, it could have been the atf fluid and not the Syncromax.
There lies the problem with saying brand X is not good for something . Its way too general of a statement . I would bet that they were using the ATF formula and even still I have only had issues with the friction inserts glazing over and becoming slick . The actual material was in tack just slick like a clutch disc gets when oil gets on it .
Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

once again.... lost of great info
Old 02-28-2008, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Yes Mobil 1 is what is preferred by us and most shops we speak with. GM Synchromesh is what is in it from the factory and is a Dextron 3 fluid. Mobil 1 ATF is Dextron 3 compatible.

Amber
I'm interested what your take is on the hard shifting/getting into gear issue that Tremec said could occur by using Mobil 1 in colder climates?

Also, are you saying synchromesh and Dex III are essentially the same thing?
Old 02-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shatterz
I'm interested what your take is on the hard shifting/getting into gear issue that Tremec said could occur by using Mobil 1 in colder climates?

Also, are you saying synchromesh and Dex III are essentially the same thing?
Well there is a grey area when talking about COLD temps . Here in Texas cold is about 30-35 degrees outside . Up north you guys would be out side in your shorts and tee shirts playing golf .

I have noticed over the years that the thicker the fluid is in the transmissions , the harder they are to shift in cold temps . Its not just the transmissions though . Your factory clutch hydraulics do not like cold weather either . Combine the two and you are almost guaranteed to have some type of shifting issue until the engine warms up the engine compartment and friction warms up the fluid inside your transmission . There are pros and cons to using lighter fluid or heavier fluid in your transmission . Lighter fluids lubricate better and are easier to deal with in cold situations plus the rob less horsepower from the drag inside the unit but heavier fluids provide a cushion between gears and is not as prone to leak from minor issues like a seal getting old and hard or a small crack in a case like ATF is .

When I worked for my uncle's transmission shop as a kid , we would always get calls from people with clutch issues or hard shifting right after the first good hard cold snap . After a while , you felt like a tape recorder explaining the issues to people .
Old 03-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned

Regular "dino" Dexron III ATF (any brand) stock trans
Mobil 1 ATF - for people looking to spend more money

High Horsepower: ( little notchy/harder when cold )
2 quarts Mobil 1 ATF + 2 quarts Dodge Viper ATF or Synergyn Syngear II

High High Horsepower: (not recommended for cold climates)
4 quarts Viper ATF or Syngear II
Old 03-08-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

I just mixed 2 quarts of Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Sychromesh. Hopefully it will shift better than the Valvoline Durablend ATF previously in it(if it ever stops snowing).
Old 04-12-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SladeX
I'd recommend keeping away from Redline, last I checked they did not have API approval for their fluids. something in their formula "may" perform better in the short term, but could screw something up like RP in the long run.
Since this thread is linked to a current "fluid" discussion, the Redline D4 bottle says

"Also satisfies API 70W80 GL-4 gear requirements"
Old 04-12-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thesource
I've used RP syncromax in a crap load of T5's and T56's with ZERO issues . Its a little slicker than non synthetic ATF but cuts the heat in half for extreme conditions that a lot of folks down here in south Texas deal with in the middle of the summer . Take that for what its worth ....
That's good to know - I just added a 95 T56 to the stable and will want to
change the fluid soon ... I live in Cypress, with daily commutes to downtown
Houston. I use RP in the engine in all the vehicles.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks, Finally, I just changed the T56 fluid out and hard to find correct fluid at my local auto parts.
Finally, I found this post is good information.. I will find out any auto parts sell> look down green highlighting. is those fluid correct?
Originally Posted by Shatterz
I see a lot of questions on here asking about what trans fluid should be used in the t-56. I called up Tremec technical support to get the final answer.

-Dexron III is THE most highly recommended all round choice, specifically Texaco/Havoline brand.<Automatic Transmission fluid ??
what the bottle of Havoline showed what I see at auto parts.

http://www.havoline.com/products/na/transfluids.html

-Synthetic- Mobil 1 is the only brand advisable to use and tested by Tremec, can cause shifting issues in colder climates.
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF correct?
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx

So there you go, straight from the manufacturer.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
Since this thread is linked to a current "fluid" discussion, the Redline D4 bottle says

"Also satisfies API 70W80 GL-4 gear requirements"
This is supposed to say what? 70W80 / GL-4 is gear oil NOT ATF.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Phoned with Techinal Support. I go with using Mobil 1 Synthetic for my T56.
Good inform. Link>>
http://www.keislerauto.com/images/Te...%20content.pdf

-Synthetic- Mobil 1 is excellent choice if I not drive in cold climate weather. I drive in most warm climates.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

AMSOIL Shifts great for me and no problems. sixspeedinc did the trans. Running hard for about a year now no complaints. PM if you need info
Old 05-09-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i also read here that RP eats up the brass in the Auburen rear end, I have M1 Syn in my t56, and M1 75,90 syn in the rear, plus GM additv
Old 05-18-2009, 04:37 AM
Teching In

Are you running Amsoil ATF or one of their other fluids? which one of their fluids is recommended? Amsoil is expensive but i want whatever is the best!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

I love the RP motor oil and will never use anyting else in my camaro, as for there syncromax, i've been using it for a few years...my trans is toast but that was my doing, I drove the car in -40C weather and ya the fluid was a little thick LOL but don't you guys let your car warm up b4 you bag it? a few years ago I thrashed third gear, at the same time it would pop out of second now and then(you had to hold the shifter)After this happened(one weekend)I changed to RP syncromax and well third is still toast but no issues in second and everything else was just fine....that was almost 20,000 miles ago

As for all the info about RP syncromax being hard on stock internals it could be ture....all I know is unless I buy a new TR6060 I'll run RP syncromax.

Quick Reply: What fluid should I use in my T-56 as per Tremec techincal support