Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec stage 5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec stage 5?

I bought a Spec clutch I got roughly 500 miles on it then i lost my slave.Needless to say it pissed fluid all over the clutch.THIS CLUTCH IS MADE OF IRON.This was my only DD at the time so I kept drivin it.Well now i glazed the clutch.Ive talked this over with a few people and we all have the same conclution.I can clean it.

Do you think its possible to reserrect this clutch or do i have to blow another 800 for a new 1?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

just have spec re finish it
Old 03-19-2008, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have an answer for you but might I ask, why DD a spec 5?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
I dont have an answer for you but might I ask, why DD a spec 5?
This is my third clutch.When I got the car, yeah i killed the OEM 1.I replaced it with a CenterForce duel clutch but the idiot i had install it didnt align it right so I fried that one.So I got tired of pissin away cash,I asked around and the concensous was spec 3+.I looked at the prices and the 5 was 80 bucks more.I fiqued screw it,If i wanna build it later on that one thing i wont have to buy again.

Other then when the clutch was brand new.it has been a dream street/strip
Old 03-20-2008, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

Can you clean it? Yes. Will this make it perfect again? That depends.
Here is the deal...Sintered Iron is porous but it generally responds ok to cleaning. You mentioned above that it is glazed and this concerns me a bit. Sintered Iron is actually a pretty soft material (this is what provides its high friction coeffecient) but this is also what leads it to wear faster when slipped.

Mic the thickness of the disc and let me know what you find. Once I have this measurement I can provide more info. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zeus01
This is my third clutch.When I got the car, yeah i killed the OEM 1.I replaced it with a CenterForce duel clutch but the idiot i had install it didnt align it right so I fried that one.So I got tired of pissin away cash,I asked around and the concensous was spec 3+.I looked at the prices and the 5 was 80 bucks more.I fiqued screw it,If i wanna build it later on that one thing i wont have to buy again.

Other then when the clutch was brand new.it has been a dream street/strip
well i had a the same center force clutch in my car and it smoked on me with only 8000 miles on in so i dont recomend center force to anyone i changed over and went with a ram pghd

Quick Reply: Spec stage 5?