Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch stays on floor/not returning

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch stays on floor/not returning

Hi,
I have a 99 ss/m6. I just replaced the transmission with a built one about 6 months ago. When I put the new transmission in, I got 01/02 master and slave. I did NOT replace the clutch, as funds were tight. I got the car with about 80k on it, and it now has about 110k on it. I have no idea as to how old the clutch was when I bought it. The clutch is the factory ls1 type. The hydraulics were properly bled, and the fluid looked good/clear/full as of last week. (though I havent checked it yet tonight).

The Problem: tonight, the clutch would not return all the way like normal. It only comes back up about 20% of the way. The car can still be driven, and will engage, but doesnt feel right.

Ordinarily I would think this means a hydraulic issue, but with new hydraulics less than 6 mos ago, could it be the clutch going bad? Could it be one of the springs on the pressure plate broke? Please help!

Thanks!
-Kiera
Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

well most of the time when a pedal does that its because of a hydralic problem, ive never seen a pressure plate do that but maybe the fingers on it are worn but the hydraulic system should accomodate for it i would think
Old 04-09-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

Try bleeding it again
Old 04-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice. The next morning the pedal was back to normal and hasnt acted up since. I think im going to limp it along for another month or so, and just change the clutch anyway. Obviously, I will have to bleed it again once the transmission comes out, so I figure if thats the issue it will take care of it as well.

The GM service manual says if the pedal is on the floor there are 3 causes :

1. hydraulic failure
2. release bearing is binding on the actuator cylinder quill.
3. Clutch pressure plate diaphragm spring is weak or broken.

Im voting for number 3 having been the cause, but who knows. Regardless, I think its time for a new clutch. Im pretty sure Im going ls2fw/ls7.

Thanks again!