Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch installed.... need input!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 Clutch installed.... need input!

Just finished up the install the other day. I went with the autozone hydraulics because i was reading that they would be okay.

Anyways we bench bled the master and bled it normally on the car about 10 times or so. On the first startup with the pedal compressed and in gear the car would creep forward. I drove it around for a while (rev matching) and now i can barely get it in first with the car on. I read that you just need to drive it. Some say about 250 miles and the pedal will come up. Something to do with the springs adjusting or something like that. But if i slightly push down on the pedal there is a inch or two of play..

I really dont think there is air in the lines because the slave is the same one that was on the car before.. i also put a mity vac on the master and all i got was fluid.. not one little bubble.

Ive also heard people just pump the **** out of the pedal and it somehow improves. You guys have any ideas?? so far it has 40 miles on it after the swap and i can shift between gears without too much trouble.. 1 and reverse are a little difficult..
Any help is appeciated! Thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Teching In

My car does the same right now... I have a similar setup... I put the LS7 clutch in, LS7 pressure plate and LS2 flywheel and a new LS1 slave cylinder. I had installed a new master last fall but I think its broken and leaking air into the system. I think Im ordering a new one today and will be putting it in later this week. I dont know if thats your problem but thats definitely mine
Old 04-15-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like you did everything right. just give it a little more time before you go tearin it down again. these clutches are notorious for that ****
Old 04-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Teching In

you did everything right,except you did not replace the slave.this is why everyone recommends to replace the slave.to avoid problems that might come up.did you do the drill mod? I'm not familiar with autozone master's,but if they are the same as OEM 01-02 they should be fine.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Bleed it a couple more times to get the rest of the air out that has accumulated since the last time you blead it. Do it the normal way without the mity vac
Old 04-18-2008, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've confused the whole it catches early with another problem creeping/dragging clutch. They are separate issues where one is a much more serious issue.

Although the LS7 catches low, it should NOT drag the car at all, it should still be a complete release. It sounds like you have possible some air in the system, or due to the fact you didn't replace the slave, it might not be able to compress the LS7 clutch enough to prevent it from dragging.

As recommended by others, try bleeding it first.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:28 AM
Launching!

wow... i'm having the same problem, but i replaced everything, t.o. bearing, slave, master (all gm) ls2/ls7 clutch kit(pp/clutch/fly) and pilot bearing... blead the hell out of it and still a little play maybe inch to two inches of pedal before i get a response.. gonna try rebleading it when im off work, mine sometimes wont go into reverse or first when i first crank it, but sometimes it works fine,... and if i have to crank it in gear to get it to move where i need to go.. like reverse at advanced this morning it instantly started moving the car with the pedal to the floor... is this because of my MAYBE having some air in the system? NOTE it doesnt do it all the time, just some of the time. 70 miles on the new clutch system.. sorry if im hijackin this lol